Sign in with
Your question

HELP! I think I screwed up my 6950!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2011 2:45:30 AM

I tried to unlock the shaders on my 6950 (first time) and I forgot to backup my bios and when I was flashing my bios the program just crashed halfway through. Now that I boot up ATI afterburner is all weird. The driver is not showing and it won't let me change the voltage (Yes I did check the settings) Can someone please tell me what to do or how to degrade my bios back down.

More about : screwed 6950

a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 4:01:25 AM

Try to flash the BIOS again. Does the BIOS flashing client (thing) see your GPU?
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:03:52 AM

I just tried flashing it again and I gett he same thing!
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 4:13:51 AM

You mean it crashed again while you were flashing?

1. Oh, ***!
2. Reinstall the BIOS flashing client and try again
3. You should try to find the stock BIOS. Maybe someone who has that card (I do not) can make a backup and send it to you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 4:24:58 AM

I don't know what to tell you. DL them all and try them all until one works?
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:26:15 AM

I tried ALL of the bios on that site and they keep giving me the same thing. Is there any other bios flashing tool?
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 4:27:45 AM

Which model do you have? If you click on each of the bios from the manufacturer, it usually says which version it is. Pick the one that matches your card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 4:28:51 AM

I've never flashed an ATI GPU. :( 

Question: Does your video card work? Like, if you fire up a game, is it clear you have a good video card in there?
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:32:37 AM

bystander said:
Which model do you have? If you click on each of the bios from the manufacturer, it usually says which version it is. Pick the one that matches your card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I tried there tool that supposed to fixe the bios and everything but it just recommended me to install norton and other programs.

eightdrunkengods said:
I've never flashed an ATI GPU. :( 

Question: Does your video card work? Like, if you fire up a game, is it clear you have a good video card in there?

It freezes up about every 15-30seconds in bfbc2 on lowest settings.

m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 4:36:03 AM

It's quite possible you ended up with a 6950 which can't be unlocked. There is a 3% chance you'll end up with that. Given that that is a reference card, you do have the option to switch to the backup bios, but I'd still recommend restoring the original.

This should be a match for your card. It appears to be the reference bios: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/89375/MSI.HD6950.204...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 4:37:39 AM

^ if that doesn't work, you can probably get away with an RMA.
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:39:04 AM

eightdrunkengods said:
^ if that doesn't work, you can probably get away with an RMA.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of. Damn, this sucks I ordered two extra monitors (already have 24inch) so I can eyefinity.
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:39:39 AM

bystander said:
It's quite possible you ended up with a 6950 which can't be unlocked. There is a 3% chance you'll end up with that. Given that that is a reference card, you do have the option to switch to the backup bios, but I'd still recommend restoring the original.

This should be a match for your card. It appears to be the reference bios: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/89375/MSI.HD6950.204...

Going to try this right now, will report afterwards.
--
Nope didn't work.
m
l
!