Motherboard purchase question

stitchmanz

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I’m thinking of building my own machine, rather than buying a pre-built one. I keep reading that it is better to build your own, but I know nothing about which parts to buy. I know that the pieces have to work with each other, but don’t know where to begin.

I’ve been trying to do some research on components but I am so lost.

Of all the parts, I’m having the biggest problem understanding the motherboard. There are so many different options with some companies having 3-4 motherboards that are only $10-20 difference in price, but on the surface they seem to be the same. I’m sure that each one has differences, but I don’t know what they are.

About the only thing I’m pretty sure I need is a Z77 for an Intel CPU. I don’t want the cheapest board, but I don’t need the most expensive one either. So I’m looking at a price range of around $150-175.

I’ve heard that ASUS gets great reviews, but has horrendous support. Good support is important to me since I am a novice at building a machine.

Can you please give me some suggestions on which motherboards to get.

Thank you

Jerry

"I’ve heard that ASUS gets great reviews, but has horrendous support. Good support is important to me since I am a novice at building a machine"

The thing about building your own machine is that you don't really have any place to go for handholding, except forums like these. The companies that make the products will NOT handhold you during the installation process.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but it's important that you understand that you're pretty much on your own, unless you have friends or family who have done this before and can help you out during the build.

That being said, there are two goto motherboards that you can chose between that are very stable, and will give you no trouble. I recommend these all the time, and people are universally happy with them:

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

or

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544