purplecliff

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I've spent all day assembling my first PC build. It certainly wasn't easy .. the graphics card really doesn't fit in the case (but I got there in the end) and my CPU cooler wouldn't tie down properly.

Anyways, I got it all together. I've tried my very best to plug everything where it should go (I'm very novice, so I wasn't 100% sure). Now, when I turn on the PSU, a red light appears on the 6870. And when I try to turn it on, absolutely nothing happens. What should I do?? :S

Case/PSU: CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II With 500W PSU (Black)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

GPU: ASUS Radeon 6870 1GB DirectCU

RAM: Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

Optical: Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVDRW Drive

Solution
One beep indicates a successful POST. Which output port are you using on the GPU? Have you tried both DVI ports? If you're using HDMI, have you tried both of them? It sounds like you might just be plugged into the wrong output port if you're getting a single beep from the system.

There is no 4-pin GPU power cable. The PCI-E power connectors have 6 pins and you have to plug them both in. Is the red light still lit up on the GPU? What 500W PSU do you have? Does it have 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors?
No, a red light is not a good sign. It usually indicates you've either forgot to plug in all the required power connectors or the PSU isn't up to the task of running the GPU. Your GPU requires both 6-pin PCI-E power connectors to be plugged in.

The checklist in my signature was created to troubleshoot this type of problem. Perform EVERY step in the checklist and let us know how it goes.

PS, all your links are broken.

purplecliff

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks! My 4-Pin motherboard power cable was mixed up with my 4-pin GPU power cable. But I've still got a problem.

I've gone right down that list, but still nothing appears on my monitor. No signal. Though all the fans turn on and there is one little beep from my motherboard.

In a few days I'll have access to another monitor I can try, if no one has any other suggestions.

One beep indicates a successful POST. Which output port are you using on the GPU? Have you tried both DVI ports? If you're using HDMI, have you tried both of them? It sounds like you might just be plugged into the wrong output port if you're getting a single beep from the system.

There is no 4-pin GPU power cable. The PCI-E power connectors have 6 pins and you have to plug them both in. Is the red light still lit up on the GPU? What 500W PSU do you have? Does it have 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors?

Solution

purplecliff

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I was so convinced it wouldn't change a thing, but I tried the other DVI port. Success!!

Ten silver cigars to you, sir! I'm so very happy right now ... I was convinced this would never work :D

My GPU must have one dodgy DVI port?

TRENDING THREADS