32GB RAM FOR Z68 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezzta667

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hi Guys,

I currently have 16GB of RAM in my Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 but I would like to upgrade to 32GB.

Before anyone says that I don't need that much, it's for music production where virtual instruments can be loaded in their entirety into RAM meaning the project stays nice and snappy. When using thousands upon thousands of audio samples, loading as much into RAM as possible is very handy.

So could anyone please let me know of a 32GB kit that would fit the bill? Am I perhaps at the point where a new motherboard is in order? If I bought RAM now and then decide to get a motherboard with more sata ports, it would be good if I could transfer the memory over to the new board.

Thanks a lot!

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
are you saying your current board the slots are filled and you have 4x4, so you have to get rid of the old ram?

If not, just fill the empty slots with whatever ram you had before.
Otherwise, any 1600 ram should be good. Don't overpay for ram, but don't get the cheapest ram just save $5.

You can also get 2 sets of 8x2 and technically that will work the same too, but has not been tested together by the factory.

maybe this one, it's on sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231507

Jezzta667

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

Thanks for your response.
Yeah that's correct. I'll hopefully be able to sell my old ram (less than a year old).

So the ram that you posted would be compatible with my board? I'm not sure how to tell what is and isn't compatible as the Asrock site has relatively few "compatible" ram sticks and only ONE 8gb stick on the list.

Jezzta667

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
umm calm down, I'm on smart phone....
I bid you a fond ado...

good-luck.

edit:
nice attitude with the caps.

Just sending it back your way, mate. How about you at least read the OP before you start wasting everyone's time with your pointless, patronizing posts.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Or he just has very inefficiently made software that "wastes" a lot of memory.
(or as the sales people will spin it "can take advantage of" a lot of memory)

If he's stuck using that program, then he needs the memory.

PlusOne

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
The tech.woot today has a 2x8GB set of Kingston hyperx 1600 sticks. Those are probably a little pricy ($85), but I hear good things about their quality.

I'm no expert, just pointing out a sale. Trust the other posts before mine haha.

Edit: I'm saying you could get two sets and fill up your 4 slots, which may not be the best when your next RAM upgrade comes along, but oh well. Till then!

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
when i searched the feedback, 3 people are using it in their asrocks, although on different models:
ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Pro
ASRock Z77 Professional
Asrock X79 Extreme4

I would assume though that it should be OK. If you are not sure, you should send a note to g.skill or asrock and ask them.

Jezzta667

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks, guys.

So there is no way of actually knowing for sure if RAM will work in your motherboard without asking the manufacturers (given that their compatibiliy lists are not kept updated)?

...and trust me, when you're dealing with software instruments of the sampled variety you can use up RAM very quickly. Of course you can use little RAM and just stream from your hard disk but when you're streaming thousands and thousands of "voices" it doesn't take long before a mechanical hard drive can be overworked and you start to get horrible clicks and pops in your audio or your editing program simply stops working.

Some samples are incredibly huge. I have a piano one which takes up 280gb of hard disk space. Unless I want to spend about $400 on an SSD simply to house that one instrument, then getting as much into RAM as possible is the way to go. Now think about the demands of trying to use the samples from an entire symphonic orchestra, a huge drumkit, a virtual bass guitar and several types of very detailed and sampled synth effects and your RAM demands are huge. Just loading one large drumkit into RAM uses about 15gb of my RAM at the moment but it runs like a dream.

So thank you to the people who posted useful answers but every thread which asks a question like this is full of people saying "you don't need that much RAM", even without knowing what they need it for. How can anyone who knows about computers ever say that ANYTHING is overkill? Not everyone is a gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.