Need Guide to Update Asus BIOS!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
My motherboard is Asus Sabertooth Z77.

I have tried installing the newest AI SUITE from Asus driver web, in order to use Asus update but it fails.
When I try update from internet" or "download update from internet" it tries to connect into servers forever, and never succeeds. Tried choosing from different servers but to no avail.

So I am left with using either the update files I downloaded from asus, or the BUpdater utility.

What should I do? I never updated BIOS before, can someone give me a proper guide for my BIOS? and whats the safest way to do it? thanks.

Ensure system is 100% stable before flashing! Do not perform this update on an overclocked system, set defaults and ensure 100% stability before commencing.

1) Flash from EZ Flash 2 (this is important, do not use any other method of flashing!) using a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Make sure you flash from EZ Flash 2 only and NOT Windows!
2) You will need to let the system flash twice. Flash the first time, when the flash completes follow the onscreen prompt to reboot.
3) Second flash will commence when the board re-BOOTs, should find the file automatically and flash it (this flash wil update the ME fw while the first flash updates UEFI).
4) After the second flash completes, follow the onscreen prompts, power down the system at mains (AC) and clear CMOS (Clear RTC) for 5 seconds before using the system again.
copy from Asus :D

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Another thumbs up for usb flash. Only time I've ever had a bad BIOS flash is using an Asus Windows flash tool...can assure you, not the nicest of feelings.

I only update if I'm pretty sure it is going to fix a problem.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thanks, I will use EZ Flash - but please help me with this!:

Which file should I choose and use for the update, and how do I copy it exactly?
Here is the link:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=SABERTOOTH+Z77&p=1&s=39

As you can see, there is "BIOS" tab, and "BIOS Utility" tab.
under the first is a ZIPed folder with a folder inside and 4 files I think.
Under the latter, you can see BUPDATER - which I have no idea if I should touch it or not.

Please help, if I put the wrong files, everything else won't matter and my motherboard is at risk!

not a good idea, especially over the internet.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Flashing through windows?? isn't that bad and risky?
One guy before you just advised against it, that's why I'm asking.

The majority here are telling me to download the BIOS update files, put them on FAT32 formatted USB stick, put the stick on the bios usb slot, and run the flash using the BIOS EZ-FLASH program.

Oh btw, if everything work fine, I shouldn't try updating BIOS right? or is there a benfitin performance or something?

silverhwy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

RTFM! Read your manual, there are usually three methods to update your ASUS BIOS. The easiest and safest is the EZ FLASH 2 utility. I used it yesterday and it took less than a minute to UPDATE my BIOS. It's no big deal. Format a thumb-drive in FAT32. Download the new BIOS file to the thumb-drive. Extract the ZIP file. You'll now see a .ROM file. That's the BIOS update. Launch AI Suite II. Go to TOOL menu and launch it. Select UPDATE BIOS FROM FILE in the open window, then click OPEN, navigate to the new .ROM file and select it. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the updating process. Reboot and it's done. Should take less than 2 minutes start to finish.

NarigaBrasil

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Hi,
I just done all that. After finishing do I have to keep the USB Flash on the motherboard (USB Flash Port) or can I take it out?
Thanks