Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Dual Monitors
  • Switch
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 8, 2011 6:37:33 AM

Hello,
When I boot up the right screen goes on and then goes black. If I press the of/on switch it will work normal for a second or two then it goes black. If I switch it on 10/13 times in a row it will evidently hold and will stay on as long as I am using the computer. If I go away for an hour or so the sequence has to be done again. Anybody know what the problem is.

More about : dual monitor screen problems

June 8, 2011 2:18:23 PM

I would double check the cables. Sounds like the cable isn't in place correctly so sometimes it gets the signal while other times it doesn't.
m
l
June 8, 2011 3:24:24 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
I would double check the cables. Sounds like the cable isn't in place correctly so sometimes it gets the signal while other times it doesn't.

If it was the cables why would it come back on instantly when I turn off the monitor and turn it immediately back on, only to have the screen go off again in a second or so. The power for the monitor doesn't go off when the screen goes off by itself, only when I cycle it off. Once the monitor is working correctly, it will hold the picture until I leave the computer idle for an hour or more. I'm thinking I have a bad monitor or bad video card. By the way this only happens to the right monitor, never on the left.
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2011 4:22:47 PM

So did you check the cable or not?
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:26:14 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
So did you check the cable or not?

Not yet I will the next time I turn it on. After it is on and working properly it is ok. Thanks for the quick response.
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:30:47 PM

If your unsure if it is the graphic card or one of the ports, just swap the monitor cables position. If that fixes it, you can assume one of the ports on e graphic cards is defective. If changing the cables reproduces the same behavior, I would wager the monitor.

Right now though I would just say it is a lose cable that makes the monitor go into power saving mode.
m
l