Sign in with
Your question
Solved

EVGA or Asus GTX 570?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2011 6:55:45 AM

I am in the market to ditch my crossfire'd 5850 DirectCU's and up to a single more powerful card. Its not that I don't have the power that I want, its that I just really don't like the crossfire configuration, I feel that it puts too much pressure on the card that basically has its fan covered.

Anyway, I am feeling a GTX 570. I have always preferred Nvidia, but until recently, I couldn't ignore the tech advantage with choosing ATI. Finally I get myself some green and black.

What I am wondering, is which of these two cards I should get:

The higher rated and more superclocked EVGA: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-...

or the much cooler looking (both figuratively and literally) Asus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I really am a big fan of Asus, however this card looks to take up 3 slots, removing any possibility of upgrading with another in the future. This might actually be a good thing considering I did not like 2 cards very much this time. Then again, I like leaving my options open. The Newegg page also says that the Asus runs ~15% faster due to some "alloy technology". I call immediate shinanigans but I have not had any time to read up reviews of both cards in excruciating detail.

Also if someone thinks that there is a better card than the 570 for ~350, please to tell. Also if anyone has a link to a comparison of the two that would also be awesome.

More about : evga asus gtx 570

a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 6:59:24 AM

Fix the links, both lead to the EVGA.
m
l
June 8, 2011 7:09:09 AM

The Halo Don said:
Fix the links, both lead to the EVGA.

Fixed, my bad.

Quote:
2 x HD 5850 = 2 HD6850 = HD5970

HD5970 > GTX 480= GTX 570, not an upgrade if ur going just one card

Are you sure? I am not convinced... In theory they would have more power but honestly the ATI drivers are so bad that some games actually started bugging out since I got a second card.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 7:15:11 AM

I say the EVGA, they are reliable, have great customer service. The Asus one is just way too big, offers no SLI for the future as you mentioned. Also the EVGA come with a lifetime limited warranty while the Asus only comes with 3 years. You'd expect a card like this to have lifetime for all manufacturers. Overall the EVGA is a much better buy.
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:47:25 PM

ATI driver < Nvidia driver. If you do alot of converting, CUDA tech from NVIDIA is a big plus there. ATI AVIVO suck, i can not get it to work with window 7 64bit somehow.
Also Nvidia 500 series run quieter than ATI 6000 series( cooler too).
m
l
June 8, 2011 6:54:33 PM
June 9, 2011 11:38:24 AM

The ASUS card comes with a nice cooler which is a huge bonus, even though the card is not clock as high as the EVGA's SC you can always clock it higher. The cooling on this card should be a lot better as well as much more quiet. From what I seen on reviews, 30% fan speed is all you need to cool this huge card down with minimum. Any thing above 50% you'll start to notice it. As for future upgrades it really depends on what motherboard u have. I planing to get an p8z68 deluxe for this card so that I'll be able to SLI however I won't have any slots left. As for the warranty, it is most likely that you'll get rid of this card before the 3 years are up. I mean just look at how long you had your ati 5850 for. Personally I would go for the ASUS, its a none-reference design along with better parts used in the standard gtx 570. This means you should be able to OC it farther then what it is expected.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 11:55:27 AM

I would also not recomend going from a 5850 CF to a single GTX 570.. the improvement, if any will be marginal.
m
l

Best solution

June 9, 2011 1:20:53 PM

As I replied in one of the other threads, I went from 5850's in CF to a single GTX 570 and saw an improvement across the board in performance. I think the issue lies with drivers mainly, but I'm now able to max out settings on several games that I couldn't even come close to before. Oh, without overheating every 15 minutes as well with the stock cooler ( a pair of Z1000's solved the 5850's mysterious overheating problems).

On paper the 5850's should be faster but my gaming has improved immensely after getting rid of them. This was about 4 months ago so I'm not sure if the driver issues were sorted by now (making games like BFBC2 unplayable in CF due to artifacts and black bands).
June 9, 2011 5:11:59 PM

killer8297 said:
The ASUS card comes with a nice cooler which is a huge bonus, even though the card is not clock as high as the EVGA's SC you can always clock it higher. The cooling on this card should be a lot better as well as much more quiet. From what I seen on reviews, 30% fan speed is all you need to cool this huge card down with minimum. Any thing above 50% you'll start to notice it. As for future upgrades it really depends on what motherboard u have. I planing to get an p8z68 deluxe for this card so that I'll be able to SLI however I won't have any slots left. As for the warranty, it is most likely that you'll get rid of this card before the 3 years are up. I mean just look at how long you had your ati 5850 for. Personally I would go for the ASUS, its a none-reference design along with better parts used in the standard gtx 570. This means you should be able to OC it farther then what it is expected.

Those are the exact reasons why I went with the Asus 5850 DirectCU's, and I love the cards, I just don't like crossfire.

arc00ta said:
As I replied in one of the other threads, I went from 5850's in CF to a single GTX 570 and saw an improvement across the board in performance. I think the issue lies with drivers mainly, but I'm now able to max out settings on several games that I couldn't even come close to before. Oh, without overheating every 15 minutes as well with the stock cooler ( a pair of Z1000's solved the 5850's mysterious overheating problems).

On paper the 5850's should be faster but my gaming has improved immensely after getting rid of them. This was about 4 months ago so I'm not sure if the driver issues were sorted by now (making games like BFBC2 unplayable in CF due to artifacts and black bands).

That is very good news. Last time I checked (~2 weeks ago) BFBC2 would sometimes just turn black. Everything would go black except the hud and I obviously couldnt do anything. Game functioned fine I just couldn't see anything except the occasional flicker.

I think the ATI drivers are just so bad that CF 5850's doesn't even work close to a 5970.

Does it change anyone's opinion if I can sell each of the cards for ~150 (so it will only cost me about 50 bucks to switch to the GTX 570)?
m
l
June 11, 2011 7:10:01 PM

Quote:
Try reverting to older drivers and stuff like that, try different versions

IMO, dual GPU...always problematic....kinda why I've avoided it

Yeah I don't like ATI drivers, and their crossfire ones are even worse.

However, I lucked out. I get to try a 570 without repercussion, cause I am building my dad a computer over the summer with a 570 in it. So if I like it I will just order another one, and if its not an improvement I will just give it to him.
m
l
June 12, 2011 1:45:07 AM

Imo I'm not sure that getting a gtx 570 is much of an upgrade, but I would personally go for the EVGA card because of the lifetime warranty.

It may run hotter but even if it does die quicker than the asus card you can ALWAYS get it replaced.

I have 2 8800gt's from EVGA both with lifetime warranties that I bought about four years ago, one started dieing about a year ago and got it replaced in about a week or less with no trouble. My other one has been running great for over 4 years now.

I haven't had any trouble with them so I say go for EVGA.
m
l
June 22, 2011 12:00:33 AM

Just as a final note, I did in fact switch for the asus 570, and across the board my performance is better. I can run crysis warhead on enthusiast 1920x1080 with 16x AA and maintain 25-30 frames through everything (super consistantly). It was a good choice to switch.
m
l
June 22, 2011 12:01:20 AM

Best answer selected by DptBear.
m
l
!