Suggestions a nice A/V switcher?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a
company that makes something I could use?

Warren

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

There are NUMEROUS ones out there, search almost any retaliers site...be
it something like ebgames.com or bestbuy.com etc.., etc.. all sorts of
them and various styles and price ranges.

Warren Bryant wrote:
> I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
> comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
> monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
> support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a
> company that makes something I could use?
>
> Warren

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:48:30 -0500, massivegrooves
<massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote:

>There are NUMEROUS ones out there, search almost any retaliers site...be
>it something like ebgames.com or bestbuy.com etc.., etc.. all sorts of
>them and various styles and price ranges.

Yes but most don't switch compoment video. Most are only for S-Video
and Composite AV.

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Warren Bryant <warren.bryant@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
> comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
> monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
> support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a
> company that makes something I could use?

Pelican is selling the System Selector Pro, which sounds just up your
alley.

It accepts 8 devices (one via the front) using composite, s-video, or
component video connections. 3 of the ports also include ethernet and
optical-audio as well.

You can mix/match devices, however, the switch does not convert the signals,
so it'll have to be connected to your display with each connection
type you wish to use (the manual explains this better with illustrations.)
This also means you may have to switch the input of your TV as well as
selecting the correct button on the switch.

However, you won't find a cheaper switch that handles component video and optical audio.

Contains labels for your buttons covering DVD, VCR, and all major consoles
(no Tivo label though! :p )

I've seen it in stores for about $70-100.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

There are many. If you are into HDTV, you can try asking at
www.hdtvarcade.com There are many there with serious home theater gaming
setups.

"Warren Bryant" <warren.bryant@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
> comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
> monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
> support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a company
> that makes something I could use?
>
> Warren

Ash

Warren Bryant wrote:
> I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
> comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
> monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
> support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a
> company that makes something I could use?
>
> Warren
Radioshack has one for $50 CDN (http://tinyurl.com/3rzo9), Allow there
is no component, it has a built in switch to habdle s-video to
composite. MAybe another retailer might have what you're after.

Impmon wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:48:30 -0500, massivegrooves
> <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote:
>

>>There are NUMEROUS ones out there, search almost any retaliers site...be
>>it something like ebgames.com or bestbuy.com etc.., etc.. all sorts of
>>them and various styles and price ranges.
>

> Yes but most don't switch compoment video. Most are only for S-Video
> and Composite AV.

Yeah, that's what I find. The Pelican seems to be able to do what I
need, thanks Doug.

Warren

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Ash <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Radioshack has one for $50 CDN (http://tinyurl.com/3rzo9), Allow there
> is no component, it has a built in switch to habdle s-video to
> composite. MAybe another retailer might have what you're after.

Egads, that's expensive - even for Canada.

If all you need is a 4 port, s-video/composite video switch, Pelican makes
one "for video games" (yeah, whatever) for less than US$20. I've used one
of these for a few years now and it works great for my Tivo, GameCube and
Dreamcast.

One other alternative for switching between multiple component video
sources is to use a pair of composite video switches - one for the 3 cable
video, the other for the stereo audio (if needed.) I bought a simple 2
source, composite video switch from Radio Shack for $5, and plugged the
component video cables from my PS2 and DVD player into it. I then plugged
the PS2's audio cables into my TV. For the digital audio cables, I bought
a optical Y-splitter ($5). Normally, you'd use this to split a single
source into 2, but I used mine "backwards" - having 2 sources merge into 1
line which connects to my receiver. This works just fine so long as I do
not have the PS2 and DVD player on at the same time. Otherwise, their
signals collide.

The only downside to this setup is that I now have 2 separate switches -
one for my PS2 and DVD player, and one for everything else.

The System Selector Pro would help simplify the setup a lot, while
allowing for expansion.

Ash

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Ash <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>Radioshack has one for $50 CDN (http://tinyurl.com/3rzo9), Allow there
>>is no component, it has a built in switch to habdle s-video to
>>composite. MAybe another retailer might have what you're after.
>

> Egads, that's expensive - even for Canada.
>
> If all you need is a 4 port, s-video/composite video switch, Pelican makes
> one "for video games" (yeah, whatever) for less than US$20. I've used one
> of these for a few years now and it works great for my Tivo, GameCube and
> Dreamcast.
>

> One other alternative for switching between multiple component video
> sources is to use a pair of composite video switches - one for the 3 cable
> video, the other for the stereo audio (if needed.) I bought a simple 2
> source, composite video switch from Radio Shack for $5, and plugged the
> component video cables from my PS2 and DVD player into it. I then plugged
> the PS2's audio cables into my TV. For the digital audio cables, I bought
> a optical Y-splitter ($5). Normally, you'd use this to split a single
> source into 2, but I used mine "backwards" - having 2 sources merge into 1
> line which connects to my receiver. This works just fine so long as I do
> not have the PS2 and DVD player on at the same time. Otherwise, their
> signals collide.
>
> The only downside to this setup is that I now have 2 separate switches -
> one for my PS2 and DVD player, and one for everything else.
>
> The System Selector Pro would help simplify the setup a lot, while
> allowing for expansion.
That's pretty inexpensive - but my boss might get pretty upset if he
found out I buy electronics at other retailers/websites than Radioshack
:) Oh, well . . .