Suggestions a nice A/V switcher?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a
company that makes something I could use?

Warren
8 answers Last reply
More about suggestions nice switcher
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    There are NUMEROUS ones out there, search almost any retaliers site...be
    it something like ebgames.com or bestbuy.com etc.., etc.. all sorts of
    them and various styles and price ranges.

    Warren Bryant wrote:
    > I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
    > comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
    > monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
    > support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a
    > company that makes something I could use?
    >
    > Warren
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:48:30 -0500, massivegrooves
    <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote:

    >There are NUMEROUS ones out there, search almost any retaliers site...be
    >it something like ebgames.com or bestbuy.com etc.., etc.. all sorts of
    >them and various styles and price ranges.

    Yes but most don't switch compoment video. Most are only for S-Video
    and Composite AV.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Warren Bryant <warren.bryant@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
    > comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
    > monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
    > support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a
    > company that makes something I could use?

    Pelican is selling the System Selector Pro, which sounds just up your
    alley.

    It accepts 8 devices (one via the front) using composite, s-video, or
    component video connections. 3 of the ports also include ethernet and
    optical-audio as well.

    You can mix/match devices, however, the switch does not convert the signals,
    so it'll have to be connected to your display with each connection
    type you wish to use (the manual explains this better with illustrations.)
    This also means you may have to switch the input of your TV as well as
    selecting the correct button on the switch.

    However, you won't find a cheaper switch that handles component video and optical audio.

    Contains labels for your buttons covering DVD, VCR, and all major consoles
    (no Tivo label though! :p )

    I've seen it in stores for about $70-100.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    There are many. If you are into HDTV, you can try asking at
    www.hdtvarcade.com There are many there with serious home theater gaming
    setups.

    "Warren Bryant" <warren.bryant@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
    > comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
    > monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
    > support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a company
    > that makes something I could use?
    >
    > Warren
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Warren Bryant wrote:
    > I'm looking for a switcher to switch audio and video between my game
    > comsoles. I'd like component inputs for all and component output to the
    > monitor. I found the Inday ones and they seem really nice, but don't
    > support component inputs on their A/V model. Can anyone think of a
    > company that makes something I could use?
    >
    > Warren
    Radioshack has one for $50 CDN (http://tinyurl.com/3rzo9), Allow there
    is no component, it has a built in switch to habdle s-video to
    composite. MAybe another retailer might have what you're after.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Impmon wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:48:30 -0500, massivegrooves
    > <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote:
    >

    >>There are NUMEROUS ones out there, search almost any retaliers site...be
    >>it something like ebgames.com or bestbuy.com etc.., etc.. all sorts of
    >>them and various styles and price ranges.
    >

    > Yes but most don't switch compoment video. Most are only for S-Video
    > and Composite AV.

    Yeah, that's what I find. The Pelican seems to be able to do what I
    need, thanks Doug.

    Warren
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Ash <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > Radioshack has one for $50 CDN (http://tinyurl.com/3rzo9), Allow there
    > is no component, it has a built in switch to habdle s-video to
    > composite. MAybe another retailer might have what you're after.

    Egads, that's expensive - even for Canada.

    If all you need is a 4 port, s-video/composite video switch, Pelican makes
    one "for video games" (yeah, whatever) for less than US$20. I've used one
    of these for a few years now and it works great for my Tivo, GameCube and
    Dreamcast.

    One other alternative for switching between multiple component video
    sources is to use a pair of composite video switches - one for the 3 cable
    video, the other for the stereo audio (if needed.) I bought a simple 2
    source, composite video switch from Radio Shack for $5, and plugged the
    component video cables from my PS2 and DVD player into it. I then plugged
    the PS2's audio cables into my TV. For the digital audio cables, I bought
    a optical Y-splitter ($5). Normally, you'd use this to split a single
    source into 2, but I used mine "backwards" - having 2 sources merge into 1
    line which connects to my receiver. This works just fine so long as I do
    not have the PS2 and DVD player on at the same time. Otherwise, their
    signals collide.

    The only downside to this setup is that I now have 2 separate switches -
    one for my PS2 and DVD player, and one for everything else.

    The System Selector Pro would help simplify the setup a lot, while
    allowing for expansion.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Ash <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>Radioshack has one for $50 CDN (http://tinyurl.com/3rzo9), Allow there
    >>is no component, it has a built in switch to habdle s-video to
    >>composite. MAybe another retailer might have what you're after.
    >

    > Egads, that's expensive - even for Canada.
    >
    > If all you need is a 4 port, s-video/composite video switch, Pelican makes
    > one "for video games" (yeah, whatever) for less than US$20. I've used one
    > of these for a few years now and it works great for my Tivo, GameCube and
    > Dreamcast.
    >

    > One other alternative for switching between multiple component video
    > sources is to use a pair of composite video switches - one for the 3 cable
    > video, the other for the stereo audio (if needed.) I bought a simple 2
    > source, composite video switch from Radio Shack for $5, and plugged the
    > component video cables from my PS2 and DVD player into it. I then plugged
    > the PS2's audio cables into my TV. For the digital audio cables, I bought
    > a optical Y-splitter ($5). Normally, you'd use this to split a single
    > source into 2, but I used mine "backwards" - having 2 sources merge into 1
    > line which connects to my receiver. This works just fine so long as I do
    > not have the PS2 and DVD player on at the same time. Otherwise, their
    > signals collide.
    >
    > The only downside to this setup is that I now have 2 separate switches -
    > one for my PS2 and DVD player, and one for everything else.
    >
    > The System Selector Pro would help simplify the setup a lot, while
    > allowing for expansion.
    That's pretty inexpensive - but my boss might get pretty upset if he
    found out I buy electronics at other retailers/websites than Radioshack
    :) Oh, well . . .

Console Gaming Games Video Components Video Games