Sign in with
Your question

Deciding what to do about Bulldozer...

Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2011 6:31:36 PM

Prior to Bulldozer's release I had high hopes for it's performance. Such high hopes that I decided to purchase an ASUS Crosshair V Formula mobo. I already had an AMD Phenom II 955 BE so waiting for Bulldozer seemed like the right decision. I still have yet to upgrade because it's performance wasn't what I had expected.

As of now I am trying to decide if I should sell my mobo and CPU and use what I get for it plus what I can save to get an i5 2500k. I don't think I need a 2600k, but I might change my mind by the time I figure this all out haha. I also don't know if I should wait until Intel's next offering. I am leaning towards getting the 2500k, but I was just looking for other peoples opinions on the matter.

I mostly play games and dabble in photoshop as well as other stuff, but I generally game more than anything.

I also would like to get a mobo of similar quality as the ASUS Crosshair V Formula for my next processor so any suggestions for that would be appreciated as well.

More about : deciding bulldozer

November 9, 2011 7:45:32 PM

having the fastest CPU shouldn't be your primary concern. i think you'd benefit most from more ram, better GPU, and SSD.

i also waited in anticipation for bulldozer, when it turned out to be somewhat of a let-down i decided to invest in a SSD RAID instead and keep my AM3 system, and i'm happier with it that i think i'd be with sandybridge.
m
l
November 9, 2011 8:29:28 PM

Hmm for some reason my sig didn't show up. I have a pretty good computer and I'm not just looking for the fastest CPU. I'm looking for opinions between keeping what I have with the AM3+ mobo and upgrading to one of the Bulldozers or to sell both mobo and CPU and get a Sandy Bridge setup for gaming. I am gonna grab a SSD, but I want to get a new CPU regardless whether it be Intel or AMD

Here is my rig.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE at 4.0
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
XFX HD 6950 2gb
8gigs G.Skill 1600
Corsair TX v2 750w
1tb WD Caviar Black
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Xigmatek Elysium case

I do also plan on either crossfiring my 6950 or waiting until the 7000 line comes out and get one of the newer stronger single cards.

EDIT: Well my sig showed up this time... Honestly I'm just not happy with my processor and I think I'm going to grab a 2500k setup. I've used both AMD and Intel so I don't really have a preference, I just want the best performance I can get.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2011 8:42:23 PM

That's the same conclusion I've been working towards myself. Now I need to decide what motherboard to get with my 2500k. I am willing to spend around $250, like I did on my Crosshair V..., on it because I like having a good highend motherboard. If you have any suggestions that'd be awesome haha
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2011 8:52:48 PM

Well guys, see my sig, my last rig was an AMD 965 BE, 4 gig of DDR3, a 560ti, WD 1TB Black drive. I bit the bullet and went with Sandy Bridge and an SSD. This thing is SO MUCH FASTER than the old AMD rig, its laughable. I bought another 560ti for SLI just to see how it would run, and it runs sweet.
Everyone can look at numbers and say yeah well it's not that much better for gaming or not that much better for this and that and you should have got a 2500K instead of the 2600K, but I am HAPPY. This thing blows through anything you toss at it like its nothing. I had ran AMD for over 10 years. Sorry AMD, you are just falling too far behind.
m
l
November 9, 2011 9:00:12 PM

if you're looking to spend $250 range, try an asus p67 deluxe. the maximus...wow the maximus is down to $285, the maximus p67 is amazing. you should know something ahead of time, there are a lot of quirks with the p67 AND z68 chipsets. so be ready for possible headaches. not only dual booting problems (and i really don't think this is only effecting people buying non qvl ram), but other weird stuff like random shutdowns. it happens on the high end equipment also. i've dealt with the maximus directly, and it's well worth the money. i havent dealt with the deluxe, but i've read a good bit about it.
m
l
!