Sign in with
Your question

Cannot access BIOS setup unless removing battery

Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2012 2:33:21 PM

Have an Acer M421G desktop 24/7 server with Win7, which have had some instability problem, occasional hangs maybe once a week.

During my troubleshooting I now discovered that it is not possible to enter the BIOS Setup any more. When I press the DEL key during boot, I can see that the key is recognized, and that the computer should go into the Setup menu, but it just stalls.

If I reset the CMOS memory (remove CMOS battery or use the CMOS reset jumper), then during the next boot the computer states "Invalid CMOS checksum, press DEL to enter Setup". If I now press DEL I manage to get into Setup, and can restore default BIOS values and change settings. All changes done, such as boot order etc. seem to work afterwards.

However, at next boot it is again impossible to get into Setup, pressing the DEL key just stalls everything. Why would this happen? The BIOS installed is the latest one released.

Altough it seems that I can use the "reset-cmos-workaround" it is extremely annoying, as I then need to go through and correct all of the non-default settings if I just want to change a single one. I also have a feeling that this BIOS problem might be connected to the weekly hangs...
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 3:05:59 PM

Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 3:07:47 PM

Did you do a BIOS upgrade ?

Do a full CMOS clear with PSU power cord removed^.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 6:10:43 AM

nikorr said:
Did you do a BIOS upgrade ?

Do a full CMOS clear with PSU power cord removed^.

There is no newer BIOS available.
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:11:30 AM

nikorr said:
Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

Thanks, but if you read my text this was exactly what I did...
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2012 6:56:05 AM

you may not be able to use a usb keyboard if your bios is all flonky. if you are using one, try a PS/2 keyboard if available.

your cmos battery maybe dying, just a guess.
m
l
!