Cm storm scout fan hookups

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hello,
I cannot figure out how to hook up power to the fans. The Operator's manual is completely lacking on this.

I took the two molex connectors out of the tied bundle of wires on the bottom (right side) and plugged them into molex cable from PSU. Only the rear fan comes on. (Both fan LED's come on.) CPU fan comes on.

Aside from needing help getting the fans to run, here is my question:

When I power on, it runs for 2-3 seconds then shuts down. After 5-6 seconds it powers back on, then shuts down again. Is there a controller which is causing this shutdown because the fans are not hooked up correctly?

Thanks.

Solution
Sounds like you've done troubleshooting the right way and gone as far as you can.
I think the #1 suspect is the motherboard.

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I'll update with some more information:

M/B: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68
CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2500K 3.3G with Intel Cooling Fan
PSU: CM 650W

I swapped out the PSU--no change.

The Intel Fan (small 4-pin connector) is connected to the M/B where it says CPU_FAN. It does spin at power on.

The only unused connector on M/B (aside from USB's) is labeled SYS-FAN. I assume this is to supply power to an additional fan.

When I apply power, the front panel LED indicating Power ON does not come on. (I assume it is a Power ON LED--the manual doesn't identify it--to the right of the HDD LED.)

I've disconnected the HDD and the Saphire 6770 video card and the DVD drives. No change.

I can't think of anything else which might be pertinent.

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I disconnected *everything* not essential and it still starts, stops, starts, etc.

So I have concluded that it must be either a bad M/B or bad CPU.

Is there any way to determine which of the two is bad?

Hello Jambe;

The only way to know for sure it to swap in a known good CPU or good motherboard.

Did you 'bread board' your parts yet? Assemble them outside the case and jumpstart the PSU to bypass some case related (bad switch?) issue?

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
@WR2
Yes, I have bread boarded the parts--just CPU and M/B. It still starts/stops/starts...

I took the CPU out and am now trying to find someone to whom I can take the CPU to to get it tested. Very limited resources in northern Utah considering that I don't want to incur a $50 minimum.

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Here is a comment from BruceIllinois on Newegg's feedback (06/08/2011):

"I purchased three of these. The first one wouldn’t post, it would power on, shut itself off, then power back on in a cycle."

That is what I experienced so I assume the CPU to be okay and RMA'd the motherboard at my expense--$10.59.

I still wish someone who has assembled a CoolMaster Storm Scout would tell me how to hook up the three fans. (Do I need a power splitter?)

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I'll check back here next week after I methodically trace the wiring.

I haven't been here long enough to know if posting pictures is allowed (or how difficult it is :) .)

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I really asked two questions in my original post. The fan wiring part I have figured out--it takes three Molex power connectors and the black/yellow LED Molex connector goes to the female 'double' connector. (I'm too embarrassed to explain why this shouldn't even have been a problem--but modular power supplies have numerous cables. :) )

As for the motherboard, the replacement should be delivered Monday. Fingers crossed.