Motherboard and RAM compatibility

brich92

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Hello All!

I'm in the process of building a gaming PC and have run into an impass on something.

The motherboard I decided to go with.. I'm unable to tell by the specs whether or not it will be compatible with the RAM I want.

Here are the specs:

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148435

The reason I'm confused is because the mobo states that it can handle:
Memory StandardDDR3 2100(OC) / 1866(OC) / 1800(OC) / 1600(OC) / 1333 / 1066 / 800

and the RAM has:
Speed DDR3 1600

See the motherboard can handle 1600 (OC) [is that overclock?] but the ram is just a regular ol' 1600

Any insight would be much appreciated

Solution
It is overclocking, yes.
Basically, the memory controller has a base RAM speed going up to 1333Mhz, but any higher than that then it will have to OC. It should work perfectly fine, but you may need to manually set the RAM's speed and possibly XMP in the BIOS to make it work at spec, otherwise it may be forced down to 1333Mhz in the motherboard.
Go to the AsrocK website and search for the QVL or Qualified Vendors List for RAM that is tested to be compatible with the motherboard. or try going to the Crucial website and use their configureator to find the ram they've tested with your motherboard.

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
It is overclocking, yes.
Basically, the memory controller has a base RAM speed going up to 1333Mhz, but any higher than that then it will have to OC. It should work perfectly fine, but you may need to manually set the RAM's speed and possibly XMP in the BIOS to make it work at spec, otherwise it may be forced down to 1333Mhz in the motherboard.

Solution

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

^+1 Yes, the ram is compatible and zergesys' explanation is on the money.

beenthere

Distinguished
FWIW - AMD systems do not recognize XMP RAM profiles - as this is an Intel only feature. You can however manually try to OC the RAM to 1600 MHZ.

Also be advised that the mobo makers are all working to optimise their AM3+ mobo BIOS as the FX CPUs were just released. Expect regular BIOS updates to deal with the new design features of the BD based FX chips.