Is there any Micro ATX X79 board which support SSD caching?

yllanos

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I'm interested in buying a new motherboard with X79 chipset.

It is mandatory to have the following:
- Micro ATX size
- Available Mini PCI-e port

Plus, I have a crucial 128GB SSD which I would like to use as a cache drive, but I haven't found any X79 micro atx motherboard with SSD caching support

Can you help me please?

I did a little checking to make sure of what I thought when I first read your question. I can't find any of the X79 boards. The Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) is the feature that allows you to use a small SSD as a caching drive. When we developed this technology we tested it and found that after about 64GB drive it is better to just use the SSD as a boot drive then to try to use it as a caching drive. So none of our x79 boards and none of the ones that I check from Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, ASRock or MSI have the Intel SRT on them. I believe it has to do with them feeling that if you could afford an X79 board and processor to go with it then most likely you won't have much of a problem getting a SSD that is larger then 64GB. So I am sorry I am not able to help you find a board that fits your needs at this time.

yllanos

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Intel's were the first I checked since i've had 3 straight Intel motherboards on my builds (I'm on a DX58SO2 right now).

Thanks, anyway I'll just keep searching.

Any more opinions?

By the time SSD cacheing came out, it was a technology w/o a market. It is strictly of interest to the extreme budget conscious and if ya doing X79, I'm sure you ain't in that category.

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html

Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

If you can’t afford a decent size SSD (40GB+) then there are more cost effective ways around using a small SSD and SSD cashing like spending less on a motherboard, (H67 chipset or even a P67 chipset) and putting the saved money into a decent size SSD.

Micro ATX and X79 performance seemed counter intuitive so I was surprised to see them .....I don't expect there will be many such boards .... here's 3 that I can recall.

ASRock X79 Extreme-M
ASUS Rampage IV Gene
MSI X79MA-GD45

I have had some users with video editing, Photoshop builds tell me they set the "scratch disk" as an SSD.

Starfish75

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Gigabyte do a micro ATX version of the GA-Z77-D3H . The SSD must be 64 gb or less. It must be one from their compatable list. You could try partitioning your SSD and downloading caching drivers

yllanos

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

But I think that model allows for SSD on a mSATA port. Mine is a 2.5-inch drive

soddo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Only micro is the shuttle x79 (custom board) which comes in their bare bones case.

Im pretty sure it doesnt have a msata though.

If you figure out how to buy one without the case/psu/heatsink it would be interesting.