Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should i wait to upgrade my graphics card ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2011 2:40:43 PM

hey everyone, i have recently purchased the i5 2500k, asus p8p67 pro mobo and the 8gb g-skill ripjaw x ddr3 in order to upgrade my system. Im now deciding on which graphics card to buy which leads me to the question... should i wait for new cards to come out before buying ? Im keen to play witcher 2 as soon as possible, which isnt going to happen if i keep using my current ati radeon 5550 !

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether i should wait or just bite the bullet and go for it. Im looking to spend around £200 and i hope to play the witcher 2, battlefield 3 and crysis 2 ! many thanks..
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 3:04:55 PM

A few questions first, mate.

What resolution are you going (or want) to play? What's your PSU (power supply unit)?

A blind shot at a 1080p screen (1920x1080) with a 400W+ (20A on the 12v) PSU, I'd say that the poor 5550 won't be enough and you gotta upgrade. To what card? I'd say that a 6950 will be plenty and last a good 3 to 4 years minimum, besides being cheaper than £200 by far.

June 8, 2011 3:14:05 PM

sorry yuka, you guessed it - 1920x1080 1080p and i have a g7 extreme 780w psu
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 3:20:21 PM

Then you're fine. That PSU should handle any single card nicely.

Wait for a few more recommendations IMO and make your choice, bro. And nice build, BTW 8)