Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dual 3GB GTX 580s in SLI, need a 3rd card for PhysX?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2011 3:03:49 PM

I'm looking to build this computer a little future proofed, so I don't have to update components for a little while... If I'm operating two 580s in SLI on my upcoming build, would I see any increase in performance or eye-candy from getting a 3rd, lesser, card as a dedicated PhysX card? Would it detrimentally interfere with the number of PCIe lanes on the board (happens to be an ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION with NVIDIA NF200 for enabling dual 16x) so much as to cause more harm than good?

If it would be beneficial, what kind of card would you recommend?

I appreciate any advice you can offer!
June 8, 2011 4:56:53 PM

Wow. With those cards I'd say you are pretty well future-proofed. You certainly don't "need" a dedicated physx card. From what I understand, physx is not very taxing for a GPU. If you wanted a dedicated card, you could get almost anything.
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
June 10, 2011 3:31:21 PM

honestly with two of those beast in SLI i don't think you're going to need dedicated physx card. my advice is you can try the duo combo first before making trigger on adding dedicated physx onto the system. if you feel substantial frame rates drop from enabling physx effect then you might want to add the dedicated card in.
Related resources
June 10, 2011 3:38:10 PM

Thanks, y'all. Makes sense... I appreciate the input!
Score
June 10, 2011 3:38:21 PM

Best answer selected by jaydash.
Score
June 10, 2011 3:52:54 PM

no way the two 580s will be more than enough for physX you will be rocking some very powerful graphics, enjoy!
Score
July 10, 2011 1:35:30 PM

jaydash said:
I'm looking to build this computer a little future proofed, so I don't have to update components for a little while... If I'm operating two 580s in SLI on my upcoming build, would I see any increase in performance or eye-candy from getting a 3rd, lesser, card as a dedicated PhysX card? Would it detrimentally interfere with the number of PCIe lanes on the board (happens to be an ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION with NVIDIA NF200 for enabling dual 16x) so much as to cause more harm than good?

If it would be beneficial, what kind of card would you recommend?

I appreciate any advice you can offer!

DO NOT get a dedicated PhysX card! It will bottleneck your setup. Your system will run faster if you let the gtx 580's handle the PhysX. The only way to prevent the bottleneck, would be to use a high-end card, or another 580, dedicated to doing just PhysX. That would be overkill, and you'll be throwing away money. Don't listen to guys that say just throw ANY card in to handle PhysX. While it would work in low-end setup, you wouldn't want to do it in a high-end setup. Here's a link to a vid showing what I'm talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M&feature=BFp&...
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
July 10, 2011 1:36:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!