bios not seeing cd drive to boot from

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 8:39:47 PM

Hello All

Old MITAC 8575 (?) laptop. Trying to re-install windows xp.

In the BIOS screen, it isnt registering as seeing the CD/DVD drive.
Therefore cant boot from the drive to load XP.

Don't know what's happened as I seem to remember it ok before. However,
I did change the cd drive in it .....to the same make though.

Any ideas greatfully received.
BB.

More about : bios drive boot

August 8, 2005 4:47:13 AM

bch@genie.co.uk wrote:
: Hello All

: Old MITAC 8575 (?) laptop. Trying to re-install windows xp.

: In the BIOS screen, it isnt registering as seeing the CD/DVD drive.
: Therefore cant boot from the drive to load XP.

: Don't know what's happened as I seem to remember it ok before. However,
: I did change the cd drive in it .....to the same make though.

Is there a jumper on the drive to set it to be the slave?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Hello and thanks for the reply. I didn't know that there were jumbers
on the little cd/dvd drives . I have just checked and I cannot see
anything.

Interestingly, I have put the 'old' drive back in and it has booted up
from it...so all is ok now.

But it would be nice to know what's not working with the new one.

Thanks again
BB
Related resources
December 6, 2008 4:50:55 AM

hello
I have a 8575 old one exactly fault is the same.I have not solved problem yet
Can you help me please if some one knows.
December 6, 2008 10:34:24 AM

I have old MITAC 8575 laptop.Trying to re install windows xp
but bios not seeing cd drive to boot from.

notes:
-in the bios screen it is not regısterıng as seeing the CD/DVD drive
-Changed by new CD/DVD drive still fault is the same

if I set up windows 98SE from booting hardisk.after loading win98 SE
seeing CD/DVD drivers normally.

help me
November 23, 2010 6:19:27 PM

I recently bought an 8575 "Barebones" kit, and when I couldn't get a drive to work with it I reported it as faulty. The seller told me that it had a well known "quirk" in that it only worked with certain drives, and sent me an original Mitac DVD drive which worked perfectly first time.

It's not just the manufacturer that is an issue (it's made by Philips, the same as one of the ones I had already tried) but the specific model.
!