mucho mangos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hello, I need help configuring my first pc build. It will mainly be for gaming (Battlefield 3, among other games). my budget is capped at about $850, so I need to know if some of these parts can be swapped for better parts for a lower cost. Also, how long should this rig last before i need to upgrade something on the list??

Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB

Case: Antec 300 Blk Steel ATX Mid Tower

PS: Antec High Current Gamer Series 750W

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Storage: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM

Mouse: Logitech G500

Solution
Be sure to let us know how things work out.

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

While you're waiting for delivery you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.
Have you thought about a CPU cooler? CM Hyper 212+ $30

With a mid-life GPU upgrade (a 2nd HD 6870 or maybe a future next gen GPU) and a future CPU overclock you should be good for four years of solid game play.

Going with 4GB of RAM now will not limit your gaming performance.
Save a bit more with the 500GB HDD model.

What resolution monitor will you be using? Any future upgrading there?
If you go with a single GPU, future upgrade to a single GPU, you can drop the PSU size down to 500W.

mucho mangos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
-WR2

I wasnt sure if i needed a CPU cooler for the i5 considering i wont be overclocking it, but if i makes my pc a bit quieter than the stock cooler then im all for it

I was also unsure about getting 4GB of ram just because of the fact it might not last me long as far as i know, and i dont know much

And my monitor is a 5 year old dell that i got with my current store bought pc, so it might need to be upgraded

In the future, if you're worried about longevity, you'll be able to get what amounts to a free upgrade by OCing. You'll need a heatsink when you do.
You'll probably need 8gb eventually. I'd get it now, because it's safer to get one 8gb set instead of trying to find another identical 4gb later.

Honest - 4GB of RAM will last you until you feel the need to upgrade to a whole new system.

When you can 'add more later' and you need to keep the budget under control - 4GB is an option.
But the price difference isn't that large. Your call, but you don't 'need' it, now, or 4 years from now.

It keeps it cooler which is good for longeivity.
But the thing is... a 4GB RAM upgrade will get you just a tiny tiny improvement in performance when in comparison an easy, comfortable overclock would get you a much much larger increase in performance.

The smaller PSU question s involved with your LCD resolution and if you plan to use 1 GPU or 2 GPUs.
I prefer the 1 GPU/smaller PSU and do upgrading - sell the GPU and buy a next gen GPU.

Even for a 2x 6870 build a good 600W PSU will be fine.

THG article: Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2011 besides giving good advice on choosing a GPU it shows how you can match the GPU to your LCD screen resolution.

Best PCIe Card For ~$190: Tie
GeForce GTX 560 Great 1920x1200 performance in most games
Radeon HD 6870 Great 1920x1200 performance, 2560x1600 in most games with lowered detail

This can be taken as far as you want, into the world of 3x watercooled 580s for $2100. It all depends how much you want to spend.
That would be a 560 Ti, by the way. There's also a normal 560, which is not better.

Be sure to let us know how things work out.

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

While you're waiting for delivery you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.

Solution

deicidechaos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Nice spec for your budget.
Id say reduce your RAM and powersupplly and put the savings towards a higher end gpu, perhaps 69** series. So as the other replies are saying 6 maybe even 4 gig Ram should be efficient, and 750watt power supply a little over for just the one GPU.
Battlefield 3 is going to be quite heavy on the GPU (thanks to its crazynice looking shaders and textures) not so much stress on the CPU and RAM. Meaning - Dice tends to optimise performance by covering phyical objects and physics with eyecandy, pretty much static objects.

mucho mangos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
well i can change the amount of RAM to 2x2GB sticks.

but the reason why i picked the 750 watt power supply was because its only $70 after rebate. and also because i dont know for sure how much wattage is necessary for this build and for possible future expansion to dual video cards using SLI

mucho mangos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
UPDATED SPECS:

Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series 750W <-----------only $70, couldnt find a cheaper 600W psu that is reliable and crossfire ready

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB)

Storage: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM

Mouse: Logitech G500

mucho mangos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
i dont know why i switched out the cases last night, but im back to the original Antec 300.

And for my budget this build is at about $805 after rebates, and i was also able to get the Hyper 212 heatsink fan after downgrading to 4GB of RAM from 8GB

I like both the CM 912 and Antec 300 and have no personal preference.
If you're finding the budget working out OK it's certainly possible to get the 912 if you like the style better.

Are you commited to a Crossfire build? If you want to think about single card build you can probably stretch into a HD 6950 graphics card and still stay under budget.