Is my new motherboard broken

zarg0n

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Im really just looking for a second opinion here, but feel free to prove me wrong.

so i JUST got my new ASUS P8Z77-V with a new CPU and some ram.
After installing it in my chassie together with my old PSU, HDD and optical drive, i tried to turn everything on, nothing happens, no life signs from the fans (either in the PSU or the ones connected to the motherboard), no spinning HDDs, nothing at all, i tried manually shorting the pwrswh pins with a screwdriver just to rule out the switch itself, but no luck.

And when i insert my old stuff again it all works fine.

So the PSU is working, if the new CPU was broken, the fans would spin, if the ram would be broke i'd get error-codes.

What could i be missing here?

drums101

Distinguished
try removing everything that is connected to the mobo except cpu ram and power cables....see if your pc turns on then...is there a way you could test the cpu in another board to rule that out? right now its a toss up between the two but most likely is the board because I have never really heard of too many cpu's being DOA but alot of boards have been

zarg0n

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I just realized when it wrote this that i never tried without the GFX, and should have done that.

But no, i cant try the CPU in something else, i bought a brand new CPU and Mobo, to upgrade from an C2Q.

But if the CPU was broken, shouldn't the send mobo still send a signal to the PSU to make to fans connected make a rotation or two, like they usually do when *** is broken? :p

An other thing i was thinking about was the PSU, could it be to weak to run it, its an 520w, guess i should find out by removing the gfx...

drums101

Distinguished
yea you are right you would find out by removing the gpu if the psu is too weak btw what are the specs on your system? also I cant say for sure that if the cpu was shot it would still power on other things but I would think it would

I'm thinking there's a possible short situation going on here.

Try setting everything up outside the case, "breadboard" style, to see if it will start up then. You'll need to short the Power Switch pins on the board with a screwdriver (or similar).

zarg0n

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012

yes, thanks for that one, it powered up fine outside the chassie and with nothing plugged in, so thats a relief.

so youre saying that's a sign of a short? ive build quite a few computers and never came across that, so just mount again and be careful with the connectors and everything?

im hoping thats the sollution so i dont have to blow my budget on a new psu if its a case of it beeing to weak..

zarg0n

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
just a quick question, standoffs are still the same size as always, right?

cause the only thinng i can find that might touch the chassie is heatsinks that sticks out under the mobo that the old one didnt have, and they're pretty big.. but that really should cause any issues, right?

Yeah, there should be 9 (since it's a normal full size ATX board) and they should be in the same place, assuming that your other board was a full size ATX board as well.

There still might be one that's out of place that didn't cause a problem with the other board, but does, for some reason, with the new board.

And no, the heatsink(s) should be grounded (or insulated), so they really shouldn't cause a problem, but that can't be ruled out, at this point, either.

zarg0n

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
yeah, they were in the same place, i doubble check that the first time.

anyway, i mounted everything, just like i did the first time. and it starts just fine.. just bad luck i guess.

But really thanks for the fast and accurate reply, this has been a new and sucky experiance :)