Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2011 11:06:34 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next six months

Budget Range: 1000 for just the computer

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, web surfing, homework

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, anything not inside the casing

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'm not picky

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: Not picky, though a I want it to be easy to upgrade later without replacing half of it.

Overclocking: Maybe, bit of a beginner and I want to ease into that slowly. I don't have the funds to replace parts if I screw up and burn something out. So I am going to be a little cautious about this. I did hear though that the i5 2500k is easy to overclock but I will have to do something to manage the heat, so I plan to look into that.

SLI or Crossfire: I wanted to start off as no, and later upgrade to SLI or Crossfire

Monitor Resolution: Again, not picky but a modest setting would be nice

Additional Comments: I want a quiet, cool reliable computer. I don't want to be replacing parts constantly, or be worried about a part giving out after two months.

i5 2500k $179

GA-Z68XP-UD3 $149

MSI Twin Frozr GTX ti $229

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB $59

Blackhawk case $99

Seagate Barracuda S1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 $54

Windows home edition 7 64 bit

My goal is really a computer that is a good starting base, that I can slowly upgrade over the years, maybe buy a second video card to run in SLI or crossfire, but have a decent one to start with. the option to upgrade my memory, throw in more space on my harddrives, and maybe even switch to Radeon or over to Nvidia if the one I am using becomes too obsolete. I would like the potential to eventually go to liquid cooling if it because cheap enough(The estimate I got was nearly 400 right now which is obviously not possible for me.) I am a beginner at this, so I don't want to use parts that are going to fry if I just try to overclock it a little. I heard the i5 is good for that and that the Twin Frozr is decently cooperative.

I am looking at a metal full tower, I know that is going to be heavier but I have heard bad stories of plastic breaking upon delivery.

Another big thing for me is companies who are reliable and easy to work with. I am a bit worried about the Twin Frozr because I have heard they burn out in a few months semi frequently. I won't give you my life story but in my economic situation I can't be replacing parts unless I am upgrading.

I am willing to look at more expensive parts for my budget since I am building this slowly over time thus I have the ability to wait for sales and opportunities. Microcenter for instance is offering that motherboard and the i5 2500k together for about 279 without tax, thus I am willing to wait for deals like that and keep an eye out for other opportunities.

As for power supply, I am kinda unsure about it. When I talk about this with people who have built a few computers, they tell me to buy a 1000w to leave room for upgrades. Though I am afraid of that pushing my budget. the cheapest I could find was about 150.

I am really looking for various options and alternatives and opinions from people who do this more. So any advice would be much appreciated.

August 14, 2011 9:15:01 AM

I don't see any problems, except I think 1000w is a little too much. Maybe 650w-750w?
!