Graphics fail during gaming - but dont think its video card

a_gunslinger

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
During video gaming on PC games (COD4 and now Metro 2033) my dual monitors lock up with colorful static on screen (see attached). Some audio whine static as well. PC has to be hard reset to regain consciousness.

Assumed it was video card so bought another one. Started again with new video card. Different games, different cards. Whats next? Power supply? MOBO?

http://www.emermed.net/staging/forums/screens.jpg

paynee89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Do you have a soundcard because recently my new one caused a game to crash, all i had to do to fix it was press a button in its panel though so maybe check your sound?

Mars Ross

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

If the system is normally stable, but then misbehaves when you start a 3D application, (game), then my first reaction is that you have either a failing power supply, or one that is simply unable to provide enough wattage for the video card you are using. The load placed on a PSU rises considerably when a video card is tasked with playing a game, and I'm guessing your power supply isn't up to the task.

Any video problems simply playing a video, either in a window or full-screen? Posting system specifications would be helpful.

a_gunslinger

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Thanks gentlemen. I was beginning to think power supply alos. Its such a PITA to replace a Dell power supply trying to get one to fit easy. But will look into it. Its a:

Dell XPS 720
Intel Cre 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
8 GB RAM
Radeon 6800 video

Stock Power.

Mars Ross

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
A 750W power supply should be more than adequate for any Radeon 68XX video card, provided it isn't defective.
This corruption happens ONLY when playing a game? And, ALWAYS when playing a game? Is that correct?
Full-screen Flash video is OK? DVD playback satisfactory?
How about driving just a single monitor while gaming? Any improvement?

I've seen something similar in the last week or so on a co-worker's system.
Video distortion, usually accompanied by some really intense audio noise.
Sometimes, he loses his mouse and keyboard. (Both USB.)
Happens infrequently, but always after a cold start. Re-starting gives him a stable system.
He was convinced it was his audio card, a PCI-e Creative X-Fi. So, he uninstalled it, and, so far he hasn't had any problems. But, he admits that his problem occurred so infrequently, that it is too soon to be certain.

a_gunslinger

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies. It actually did it last week NOT playing a video game - potentially ruling out graphics altogether. making near impossible to narrow in on without logs showing anything.