Are most PC133 downgradable to PC100?

G

Hi all,

I'm considering getting more memory for my PC, and seeing that PC133 and PC100 ram costs about the same right now, I'd like to go w/ the PC133 ram. However, most PC133 ram I'm looking at does not specify whether they are downward-compatible w/ PC100 bus. Are they by default downward-compatible? Or must the advertisement specifically claim it for it to be true? I went on Kingston's and Crucial's websites to look at the specs of the memory, but I didn't find anything helpful on this.

fyi, I'm looking specifically at Kingston's ValueRam PC133 and i'm using a 440BX chipset right now.

Thanks!
YL

G

As far as I am Aware you will have no problem with runnig any ram slower than the spec as long as they run on teh same voltage ,I run PC133 Ram at 100 in one of my PC's

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

mpjesse

Splendid
You can do it, just make sure your BIOS is running all the RAM at 100mhz. It should do that automatically, but you never know with some motherboards (like SOYO, hehe).

-MP Jesse

G

Hi,
i got pc133 2 x128mb kingston valueram infineon 7.5 chips. was running at 100mhz on a cubx-e for abt 2mths ok no problems. you should get pc133 in case you want to go o/c to 133mhz fsb like what i'm doing now.

just like a ferrari rated 300kph but can still run at 60mph speed limit, right?

G

I do not understand why anyone would run PC133 at 100Mhz?

For more details see Basic Knowledge posts

Best regards
Fa Cheng CHIN

G

Well they would run PC133 at 100mhz when they already have say 128mb or 64mb of PC100 RAM and still want to use it in conjunction with PC133 RAM.