Linksys WRT120N as access point - very slow

surajpkn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hello,

I am using a linksys WRT120N router as a __Access point__ in my student dorm (according to the rules!). As long as i used it as a router, I never had problems with the speed. But now, the connection is very slow.
For example, when I am wirelessly connected to the AP, and when I ping the main router of the building, I see packet drops and some packets have more than 4000ms rtt. (while normally it should be b/w 0 and 1 ms).
So as I understand it, there is some problem between the AP and my computer in the wireless channel or something but I have no clue.
Can anyone throw some light on this and tell me what to do?
I am using the latest firmware from the CISCO website.

Thanks
Suraj

G

Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.