In desperate need of some mobo advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alacress

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Well, I've finally decided to make some much needed upgrades to my system, and so far I have everything picked out (including the processor, RAM, cooler, thermal paste), but I've hit a snag with the motherboard. To be quite frank, I'm very novice when it comes to computer components and as such I tend to go with reviews for everything. Going by reviews, it was pretty easy to settle on a good processor for what I wanted to do, which is game (I decided on the i5-3750), and the ram I just went with the tried and true Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ 1.5 9-9-9-24, since I figured it would be fairly compatible. I guess I'm still a little unsure about the cooler, but it's between the Hyper 212 EVO or Plus. I guess the EVO has a slight edge?

Choosing a motherboard has been giving me the most grief as there seems to be many, many mixed reviews on them. Originally, I had planned to get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, as I heard it was pretty stable and easy to use with overclocking. But after reading tons of reviews, it seems like many people have problems with them such as the fan speeds not regulating very well, the bios needing to be flashed in order to recognize an older SATA, memory timings being read inaccurately, onboard LAN or USB not working properly, board being flimsy, etc, etc. I've also read that support is a bit iffy.

So, assuming that some of that is true, would you guys recommend an ASUS or GIGABYTE board instead, and if so, do you have any recommendations for a decent Z77 that is fairly easy to overclock for a beginner? The interface of the ASRock seemed very intuitive even for a noob like myself (judging by the pictures I've seen), so it's one of the reasons I was leaning towards it. Honestly though, I'll gladly take a board that's a little trickier to use as long as it's good quality.

My budget cap is around $200 (I'd like to stay at around $170 if possible), so if you guys could share some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :).

Solution
G
as said in the post above, most people that give feedback on new egg don't know what they are talking about. honestly having to upgrade the BIOS for older sata support really isn't an issue; thats just the way it is in the tech world.

if you want a "thick" durable motherboard that ewill overclock well then i's suggest (but not sure how easy the bios is laid out)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H $169.98

though i do not think you will have a problem with the extreme 4.
Okay, first, if the reviews you are concerned about come from NewEgg (or any other retail site) take them as worthless. The truth is, anybody can write those reviews and claim any level of tech knowledge they choose.
If your concerns are from things you have read in forums, bear in mind that most people go to forums because they have problems and I don't think that represents an accurate ownership satifaction ratio.
If those reviews are from actual tech sites (not forums), then that may be a concern.

G

as said in the post above, most people that give feedback on new egg don't know what they are talking about. honestly having to upgrade the BIOS for older sata support really isn't an issue; thats just the way it is in the tech world.

if you want a "thick" durable motherboard that ewill overclock well then i's suggest (but not sure how easy the bios is laid out)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H $169.98

though i do not think you will have a problem with the extreme 4.

Solution

Alacress

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, some of the information was gathered from sites by newegg, but I wouldn't think they would all be worthless. I would imagine if you see enough people with the same problem it could be implicative of something. Some of the issues (like the poor fan management) was from a review site.

Thanks for the suggestion :). After checking out that board, I'm really thinking of taking your advice and getting it. I'm a little concerned about the bios issues that quite a few people (particularly with Ivy Bridge processors) seem to be having though. I guess I was hoping I wouldn't have to flash it (I've only done it once so I'm not very experienced), but it looks like I'll probably experience some problems if I don't update it. It definitely seems like the best board for the money though, so if I can manage to flash it without screwing something up, I think I'll be happy with it.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.