Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade my Motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2012 11:24:07 PM

Ok I just increased my ram from 6 - one gig cards to 6 - 4 gig cards giving me 24 gig. I also just put a GeForce GTX 680 video card in. Then I put a 2 TB enternal Hard drive WD 5400rpm 64mb cache SATA 6 GB's.

After all of this it barely bumped my benchmark score. and I don't see to much of a difference.

which brings me to the question what else can I do to make my system faster?
Can I replace the motherboard? is this my only option?

steve

More about : upgrade motherboard

August 9, 2012 11:27:19 PM

forgot I have in there right now a ...
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 975 @ 3.33 GHZ, 3334 MHZ....

Windows 7 Ultimate
x64 based PC
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 11:31:59 PM

The new 680 would only help in graphics related benchmarks (and maybe not even all that much if you already had a high-ish end card to begin with).

The extra RAM wouldn't have helped bench scores at all, really (unless it was MUCH faster).

And finally, a 5400 RPM drive is very slow (the slowest you can buy), so if you already had another 5400 RPM drive, there would be no difference there either. Extra space doesn't equal more speed. Faster speeds do.

The only things to do to get a much faster system is to get a SSD or to do a complete system overhaul (which you DON'T need. That's a VERY powerful system already).
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2012 11:37:40 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The new 680 would only help in graphics related benchmarks (and maybe not even all that much if you already had a high-ish end card to begin with).

The extra RAM wouldn't have helped bench scores at all, really (unless it was MUCH faster).

And finally, a 5400 RPM drive is very slow (the slowest you can buy), so if you already had another 5400 RPM drive, there would be no difference there either. Extra space doesn't equal more speed. Faster speeds do.

The only things to do to get a much faster system is to get a SSD or to do a complete system overhaul (which you DON'T need. That's a VERY powerful system already).

Thanks for your thoughts. I am only asking this because I am not educated when it comes to hardware. But what does increasing the RAM Do for you? Just wondering.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 11:43:48 PM

steve_27 said:
But what does increasing the RAM Do for you? Just wondering.

Mainly, it just gives you more room to breathe, so you're not relying on the Virtual Memory so much. If you're hammering the Virtual Memory (especially with a 5400 RPM drive), that WILL slow the system down. With the added RAM, you'll have a much lower chance of needing the Virtual Memory so much.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 11:48:09 PM

Get a cpu cooler and overclock!! That cpu will get close to 4GHz.
-Bruce
Edit:Next time ask us before you throw money at a problem.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 11:50:11 PM

steve_27 said:
Thanks for your thoughts. I am only asking this because I am not educated when it comes to hardware. But what does increasing the RAM Do for you? Just wondering.

Increasing RAM allows you to run more programs at the same time, or to run programs that require lots of memory. I have 8 GB of RAM but I've never seen my usage go above 4 GB. It all depends on what you're doing. If you run virtual machines, for instance, you will see higher memory usage. Some games use more memory than others, but as long as you've got more than you need there will be no slowdown of your system. If you have more than you need, there will not be a speed-up. It just means you have extra memory, which sits there idle until you need to use it.

So think of memory as a negative: If you don't have enough, your system will slow down as it uses the hard drive for virtual memory. But if you have more than enough, it just means no slowdown, it does not speed anything up. Extra memory just avoids the performance penalty of not having enough.
m
l
August 9, 2012 11:59:14 PM

N965M1HARD DRIVE..., 300GB, S2, 10K, WESTERN DIGITAL..., VR150, ACROSS LINE OF BUSINESS...
R871F1MODULE..., HARD DRIVE..., 300, S2, #2, WESTERN DIGITAL..., VR150, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM...
N965M1HARD DRIVE..., 300GB, S2, 10K, WESTERN DIGITAL..., VR150, ACROSS LINE OF BUSINESS...

Don't know if this helps ? This was in my description when I bought the system from Dell. I just bought this new hard drive to help with storage. These 3 came with the system I believe two are joined together and the other is not.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 12:02:05 AM

Yeah, those are very fast drives there. Not really anywhere you can go from there, other than like I said, get a SSD.
m
l
August 10, 2012 12:02:47 AM

sorry but what is an ssd ?
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 12:04:11 AM

steve_27 said:
sorry but what is an ssd ?

SSD = Solid State Drive. They're RAM/Flash memory based, so they're MUCH faster than even the fastest mechanical drive.
m
l
August 10, 2012 12:08:32 AM

Ok I have all four slots filled where you put the hard drives. The three the system came with and the one I just bought. So do I get rid of one? Does an ssd take one of the spots or is this put in somehwhere else? If I do replace one which should I remove?
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 12:12:45 AM

steve_27 said:
Ok I have all four slots filled where you put the hard drives. The three the system came with and the one I just bought. So do I get rid of one? Does an ssd take one of the spots or is this put in somehwhere else? If I do replace one which should I remove?

Yeah, the SSD would take the place of your System drive (so that you'll actually get the benefits of how fast it is. If you just install it as "another" drive, but it's not your system drive, you'll never see the difference).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 12:22:02 AM

Beg to differ - best would be a system and some apps - but if you just have apps on it they will load way faster.
Like I said OC your cpu - get an ssd for your boot & apps - will make your computer feel much quicker.
-Bruce
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 12:27:12 AM

dish_moose said:
Beg to differ - best would be a system and some apps - but if you just have apps on it they will load way faster.
Like I said OC your cpu - get an ssd for your boot & apps - will make your computer feel much quicker.
-Bruce

Is that not basically what I said (minus the OC part, which he can't do anyway, on the OEM Dell system)?

But yes, the OS and some of the applications that you use the most on the SSD.

I'm a bit worried about the OEM OS being able to be transferred over to the SSD, but a drive image should work for that.
m
l
August 10, 2012 12:43:10 AM

Not sure if you guys know but this is an Alienware Aurora desktop
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 1:10:37 AM

steve_27 said:
Not sure if you guys know but this is an Alienware Aurora desktop

Well, you said Dell in an earlier post, so that's where I got that from.

In that case, you MAY actually be able to OC, since Alienware systems are usually more power user friendly. I'm not at all sure, but you'll just have to take a look and see if you can adjust the bus speeds and voltage.
m
l
!