New Asrock Z77 Extrme4 Driver Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingclip

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Hi Folks, I sure could use a little help here. I just installed a new Z77 extreme4 and i7 2600K and things were going fine. I booted to the UEFI, made some changes I knew I would need to get the Hard Drive to boot to windows 7 64 bit OS, and then saved and exited. (I set the Sata to IDE).

The program booted to my OS, but in what appears to be Safe Mode or at least it looks like that. All the desktop Icons are huge like it didn't use my GPU, (ATI HD 5770). But I expected that and it went on to find some drivers... no problem. But I had an ASUS M5A97 EVO and AI SUITE II with an AMD 965BE which I replaced with this stuff.

One problem was that I forgot to uninstall the AI Suite II so it was trying start and then a box opened and said it couldn't. OK, so then it installed some drivers and when done, said to restart. So before I did I tried to uninstall the AISuite but it wouldn't even respond to my attempt. I’m going to have to install a ‘special’ program to get rid of it but for now, I’ll try to rename the .exe if I can.

So I clicked shutdown but the computer rebooted and gave a message that windows had recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Then I said boot normally and it opened to my Desktop but again, all the icons were huge. It then said it was installing drivers and included the Main HD and my Graphics card in the list of about 6 items.

But after almost a half hour it failed the driver update for both the Hard Drive and the Graphics Card! One driver was loaded successfully, (a USB tool or something, I forget), but the others were still trying to load when I decided it had been long enough, (40-50minutes at that point), and hit the "reset" button. Then I checked to make sure my GPU was active in the UEFI and double checked a few things.

After that I saved and exited and told it to shutdown when it had got to my OS sign in screen. It took 20 minutes to finally shutdown and then restarted immediately! I'm pretty sure it has to do with some settings but I don't know which ones.

The Bios version is P1.4 15B. Does anyone know what I should try?
Thanks, Rich

wingclip

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
No, I didn't do a clean install and only now found out that I apparently got lucky when I did this with the ASUS board. You see, I modified 99.9 % of an HP I had and replaced the mobo and processor among other things, with the ASUS M5A97 Evo. Even though the Chipsets were different, they worked. And the Windows version 7 Home Prem 64bit, ran fine.

In all the research I did before switching from AMD to this new Intel based board and CPU, no one ever mentioned that I would not be able to do it without reloading Windows, (I still have my Key), and they also said that I will lose all my loaded programs, Is that true too?

BTW, I know that the look is because there's no GPU Driver but my question is how do I get the darn thing to load the drivers? I decided that I will try to run an Ethernet cable to my internet so I have a connection, (I'm using my wife’s computer), and see if I can get the drivers then.

Do you think that'll work? I need options to be honest. I just placed an order for a 3.5" Internal hard drive and put it on overnight shipping. I plan to install it and then see if I can recover the programs I have on the present hard drive, (many were purchased downloads, and there are many), to the new one by using a jumper to make my present drive a 'slave drive'.

Do you think that'll work too?
Thanks again, Rich

wingclip

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Thanks Nikorr, Sorry, this all happened to me and I was chasing solutions on 3 or 4 different sites for 16hours non-stop. I was a little tired, cranky, and depressed, (as you probably could guess). So I didn't really mean to be so sarcastic.

Anyway, my OS was preinstalled when I first bought the HP computer. Less than a year later I started to ‘mod’ it. 4 or 5 months ago, I installed the new ASUS M5a97 Evo mobo, AMD 965BE 3.4 and Corsair memory. By the time I was done I was running the CPU OC’d at 4.05, (Liquid cool- Corsair H100), and there was absolutely nothing left of the original HP hardware with the exception of the Hard Drive.

BTW: I didn’t have any trouble with the OS when I put that ASUS board in. The Chipset was different than the HP board but some are saying that it may not have been too different. Anyway, I never knew that I was supposed to do clean installs when this kind of thing was done and no one ever even alluded to that.

I did weeks and weeks of research before doing the first mod and then just about as much when I did this recent Intel switch over. I posted and started many topics and at least 3 different websites, (did a lot of reading on this one too), and asked several times, (in several different ways), what I should prepare to do BEFORE I change out to Intel. No one said I would have to reinstall a new OS and would lose all my programs on the hard drive, (well over a thousand dollars in flight sim add-ons alone).

I’m not a gamer but I am a Flight Simmer, (MSFSX), with many addons and the i7 2600k is really what I needed. So far, 1.5 people, (one guy only replied once), have told me that they are CERTAIN I must buy a new version of Windows 7, (the same version I have but just another one), and I will lose all my programs when I do another install.

I’m a member of overclockers.net and I haven’t got any more info about this new problem than what I was told by those “1.5” guys. I’m left to understand that my recent, full backup won’t help me here. So anyway, I’m about to hook up an Ethernet connection to the computer and try to do what I did when I put in the ASUS board.

But now that you’ve pointed out this ‘ursoftware.com’ thing, I’m left to wonder which way I should go. Do I only get one shot at this? I mean, if I try it my way first and it doesn’t work, would I be harming anything on the mobo? And if there’s a chance that I won’t, would it be a good idea to reset the CMOS per Asrock’s instructions?

And finally, is this uninstaller supposed to run while the computer is connected to the internet? I haven’t tried to get a connection yet and when I started the system up, it immediately went searching for drivers and failed because I forgot to place an Ethernet connection, (I have wireless but no driver, no wireless). So when I start it up again with the connection, it’s going to hunt for the drivers, do I let it or do I start it in safe mode with IT connection and download/install the uninstaller?

Frankly, I haven’t read anything about what this uninstaller does, (uninstalls Windows 7 or programs like that AI SUITE that won’t leave). I need to go read on that. But I’m likely to have started the computer before you get to answering this email, (can’t blame you if you don’t), because I’m going to try using the Windows Easy Transfer option in order to get some of the bigger program files/settings backed up.

I did about 60 gigs worth last night but I don’t know how to collect the ‘settings’ that WET states that it can do. I guess the biggest question is: Will I irreparably harm the mobo or CPU or anything in there by attempting to push through with the boot-up, driver installations, and UEFI settings like you would if you had no problem?
Thanks again, and seriously, I’m sorry for the snip earlier, (I was really tired). I appreciate the suggestions and so far, your info has a hint of ‘hope’ to it so I’m going to read up on that uninstaller. If I can’t get an IT connection, I may be able to download it to a external drive and then install it to the ‘new computer’ that way.
Rich

Can u reset the BIOS? <- This way!!!
Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm
[flash=480,270]http://www.youtube.com/v/rdHH9KrceR0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage[/flash]

wingclip

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Thanks Nikorr, I downloaded and installed that program, (Belarc), not realizing that it was going to scan the computer I’m using right now, my wife’s. The one I’m interested in and the one these specs reference to will not get an internet connection.

I’m going to clear the CMOS in the morning and as I indicted in the spec sheet below, I should have a new Seagate 1tb here sometime tomorrow and use it as my “Plan B”. If all else fails, I’m going to install that as the main system drive as soon as I know what to do about the present system and how to download and install the new one.

I’d really like to keep from losing all the programs I have installed and then have to go back and install as many as I can recover from the venders I bought them from. But it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen and so I thought I’d just install a new drive, what the hell, I went this far right? I don’t know…

Anyway, the specs below show the present build first, followed by the build I had before that, and then the build I started with. I’ll be back on line to resume work on this again tomorrow at about 10AM CST. If you get a minute, “stick your head in the door”. Thanks again, Rich

CPU: i7 2600k
Ram: Corsiar LowPro Vengence 8GB 2x4 DDR3 1600 CML8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-low-profile-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9.html/

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ATX format
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5770
PSU: OCZ700watt
HDD: Seagate 750GB 7200RPM internal (Note that this will soon be changed to a Seagate 1TB which is expected in tomorrow, 8-11-12)
CPU COOLING: Corsair H100 Liquid
CASE: Corsair 500R

This is what the system was before I changed to a Intel mobo and CPU:
CPU: AMD 965BE C3 3.4GHz
Ram: Same as above
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO ATX format
GPU: Same as above
HDD: Same as above
PSU: Same as above
CPU COOLING: Same as above
CASE: Corsair 500R

This is what it was before I changed all the Hardware to the ASUS Mobo:
Computer was an HP Pavilion P6230F
The CPU was a Phenom IIx4 810 2.6GHz
Had 4x2 Seagate 1333Mhz RAM
Motherboard was a stock Foxconn that had a locked BIOS
IGPU Intergraded graphics HD 4200
HDD was the same one that I presently have as listed in the other two mod specs
PSU was a 300Watt HP standard
OS was the same one that I presently have as listed in the other two mod specs
CPU Cooling was stock Air
Case was standard HP case

wingclip

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
In fact, when that new drive gets here, that's very likely what I'm going to do. But I guess I don't know how I'm going to get on line if I don't have an OS loaded in it.

Does that mean I need a Box version of Windows too?

Is it possible to reinstall all my programs using the Windows Easy Transfer option after I put the new drive in and 'jump' the present drive so that it is a 'slave' drive?
You know, make it as if it were just a backup drive.

Or what about if I use WET and get my files to a External drive. Then after installing the new drive, (and OS), transfer the files back? I guess I would have to install the programs that those files go to first.

Man, FSX and the addons, (107GB's), that go to it has two years of adjustments and 'tweaks' alone, (not to mention the other 250GB's of programs), that I'd have to do all overagain if I can't figure out how to get around this mess.

Do you know what I mean?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS