The DS's Killer App?

Last response: in Video Games
January 7, 2005 8:39:54 AM

I will admit I'm not a fan of handhelds. I dislike the small screens,
I don't travel for my job, I don't ride a bus to school nor do I use
public transportation, so I don't have much opportunity (in the
tradition sense) to use one. The only handhelds I own are a Sega Nomad
and a GBA with an afterburner backlight professional installed.

Now during these discussions between the PSP and the DS one comment
stuck out for me and that was Leon Dexter's comment about whoever wins
this battle is gonna need a Tetris-type killer app. I would tend to
agree with that. Regardless of the PSPs power, or dual functionality,
or the DS's innovation or use of the stylist, in the end I think
whoever makes the most enjoyable 'on-the-run playable' games will get
the most sales.

Anyway, a game that recently stuck me as a possible killer app for the
DS was Animal Crossing. If there was game that emphasized 15
min-at-a-time gaming, it is Animal Crossing. Plus it's appeal is broad
like Tetris as it can be played by any age group or gender.

Does anyone see potential in AC as that type of game for the DS, or
perhaps another game?

More about : killer app

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:13:17 PM

> Anyway, a game that recently stuck me as a possible killer app for the
> DS was Animal Crossing. If there was game that emphasized 15
> min-at-a-time gaming, it is Animal Crossing. Plus it's appeal is broad
> like Tetris as it can be played by any age group or gender.
>
> Does anyone see potential in AC as that type of game for the DS, or
> perhaps another game?

It very much could be that type of game, especially if they make it
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi compatible to make it more communication friendly.

Another first year game I think could be very good for that is Wario Ware
Touched. The only concern I have for that is that some of the games they
have you make noise or something...obviously one can't just make random
noise in public places, they tend to give you funny looks and slide away
from you.
--
Xbox Live Games: TOCA Race Driver 2 and PGR2.
Currently Playing: Donkey Konga and Sprung (DS)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> Anyway, a game that recently stuck me as a possible killer app for the
> DS was Animal Crossing. If there was game that emphasized 15
> min-at-a-time gaming, it is Animal Crossing. Plus it's appeal is broad
> like Tetris as it can be played by any age group or gender.
>
> Does anyone see potential in AC as that type of game for the DS, or
> perhaps another game?

Could be--but I really think it will depend on Nintendo, and whether or not
they want to continue their online boycott. I think they could get a killer
app with something like Animal Crossing IF they open up the DS's wireless
capability to the internet. If people could play online "social" games on
their DS in cybercafes and other areas that have wireless internet access,
that could really start a phenomenon.
I'm not sure it's even possible, though--I haven't read much about the DS's
wireless functionality or Nintendo's internet intentions, other than that it
uses Wireless B rather than G, and that Nintendo (as usual) hasn't said
squat about internet play.
!