Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual GTX 580's crazy hot when playing Shogun 2!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2011 7:25:25 PM

Hey guys,

So I have been playing Shogun 2 for awhile now, and after the DX11 patch I noticed that during the game my cards (2 GTX 580's) were running in the mid to low 70's C when I have the fans cranked up to 80% (I wear headphones so the fans don't bother me). Is this an acceptable temperature? I have my CPU in charge of the PHYSx (I7-2600K) and I turned off the overclock I had on the GPU's...because I use V-sync and it is pointless to crank it up that high. Idle temp is about 30C.

Any thoughts?
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 7:30:42 PM

yeah that is absolutely fine, do not run physx off your cpu that makes zero sense
m
l
June 8, 2011 7:49:37 PM

That doesn't seem rather hot? I understand that the graphics are intensive, but 70C seems really high. I guess I should research what the acceptable range of temps are for the 580. Any clue?
m
l
June 8, 2011 8:18:32 PM

brohde88 said:
That doesn't seem rather hot? I understand that the graphics are intensive, but 70C seems really high. I guess I should research what the acceptable range of temps are for the 580. Any clue?

No,you are actually in decent shape.You should worry if you start to go into the 90's.I had a temp issue with my 3 way GTX 480's but I bought a different case.I had a Silverstone Raven RV01(use it still in a newer build)it has only 3 fans,so I got the Lian-Li PC-80 Armorsuit--it has 5 fans.Airflow is way different between cases.Also on the Lian-Li I added 3 more case fans and only use them when I game for hours...but really,I didn't need them.You could just add another fan and it should help if you want cooler...but the temps in your system are more than reasonable.
m
l
June 8, 2011 8:21:51 PM

Well I have an NZXT Phantom, with the stock fans in it. I just didn't think that adding 2-3 more 200MM's would help THAT much.
m
l
June 8, 2011 11:05:40 PM

It would help a little but you shouldn't need it.That is a great case.
m
l
June 17, 2011 3:51:34 PM

So now after applying the latest driver from Nvidia, when I play crysis 2 the screen is all messed up. I can't figure out what it is. The gun turns bright white, almost like a light, and the map becomes all twisted. Then as fast as it started, it will go away and be fine for a bit. I do not understand it.

PLEASE HELP!
m
l

Best solution

a c 147 U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 6:02:06 PM

brohde88 said:

that is quite cool in my book for a high end card under full load. before this it was normal for a high end card to reach up to 90c when under full load. btw 70c is still safe for GTX580. but if temp is near 90c maybe you have to check your fan speed and case air flow.

brohde88 said:
So now after applying the latest driver from Nvidia, when I play crysis 2 the screen is all messed up. I can't figure out what it is. The gun turns bright white, almost like a light, and the map becomes all twisted. Then as fast as it started, it will go away and be fine for a bit. I do not understand it.

PLEASE HELP!

try to do clean install of the driver using driver sweeper. if same problem still persist just revert back to your previous driver.
June 19, 2011 9:57:38 PM

Your temps are fine. Worry if they get into the 90's.

Your crysis problem sounds like a driver issue as already mentioned
m
l
June 20, 2011 2:17:09 AM

brohde88 said:

PLEASE HELP!

Crysis 2 is not playing nice with dual card setups. I have noticed several irregularities with my dual 560Ti setup and as far as I know, this is an issue that will have to be resolved by a driver update or a game patch. Crossfire is even worse from what I hear...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2011 2:02:34 PM

crysis 2 blows, why even bother with that pile of crap
m
l
June 20, 2011 11:16:29 PM

So I ended up installing an older driver version. It fixed the issue with Crysis 2 and Shogun 2 (it was having the same problem). Thanks for your help!
m
l
June 20, 2011 11:17:55 PM

jjb8675309 said:
crysis 2 blows, why even bother with that pile of crap

haha I bought it because I thought the DEMO was Amazing! This was before anyone could be completely invisible, even to the nano vision. Or before they could be a juggernaut, but hey I spent the money and I might as well finish the single player.
m
l
June 20, 2011 11:18:23 PM

Best answer selected by brohde88.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
June 21, 2011 5:07:02 AM

brohde88 said:
So I ended up installing an older driver version. It fixed the issue with Crysis 2 and Shogun 2 (it was having the same problem). Thanks for your help!

sometimes latest drivers do break support for previous game. that's why some people keep their current driver if the new driver does not bring any significant change to to the games they were playing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2011 3:11:05 PM

which drivers were giving you problems? and which drivers now work better for you?

ive been having some small issue with the 275 drivers and my gtx 570 with the screen going in and out at times when the resolution changes, not really a big deal but once I went back to the previous drivers the problem dissapeared...
m
l
!