Radeon HD 5770 vs 5670 vs Geforce GTS 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunglee2

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hi guys, I've been pricing out a system to use as a desktop (currently using a Lenovo T400 Thinkpad) for playing games and general use. I'm on somewhat of a tight budget, so I'm not looking to spend more than $500 overall, the lower the better. I'm considering the AMD Phenom II 965 & Mobo bundle going on at microcenter for $170 ($150 after rebate), and wondering what GPU would be my best bet. I know Tom's said the 5670 was the best for under $100, but is there a big dropoff between that and the 5770? Newegg has the 5770 for $115 I believe, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to spend a little more on the video card and go a little cheaper on the case. I bought the hard drive and GSkill 4gb memory deal from Newegg the other day, with the total coming to about 85$. Keeping my budget in mind, which video card is my best bet? Also, how does the GeForce stack up? I know it's a little cheaper/slower, but is it a big difference? I'm looking to play Starcraft 2, maybe some BF2, Diablo 3 when it comes out. Thanks!

Solution

500w is just enough.A good case is one that is nice and sturdy,can take a beating and does not build up dust(too fast)Of course if you utilize more fans dust maybe a problem.They do make cases that have 'sound dampening'but they are a little more...

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Remember to not skimp on a case because airflow is important especially when you are gaming.There isn't a big difference between the 5670 and 5770 but in Crossfire there is.Crossfired 5770's scale way higher than crossfired 5670's.It's wierd how that works..1 card does not have that big of a difference when benchmarked but 2 do.Some of the 5670's don't support Crossfire.I would go with the 5770 because of the performance in crossfire(if you intend to do that in the future)but if you don't have the money just go with the 5670,either way you have a decent choice.

sunglee2

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks! I was leaning towards the 5770. If I may ask another question, what makes a good case? I mean...I know it's about airflow, but there seem to be little difference outside of build material and whether there are fans?? I definitely want one that is cut for 120mm fans, as this will be in a smallish room and noise can make a huge difference. Also, how much power will I need for the 5770? I figured 500W would be sufficient for me, as I don't really plan on doing Crossfire.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

500w is just enough.A good case is one that is nice and sturdy,can take a beating and does not build up dust(too fast)Of course if you utilize more fans dust maybe a problem.They do make cases that have 'sound dampening'but they are a little more expensive.It depends on the size of the motherboard and how much you will be gaming...if any at all.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.