Sign in with
Your question

Want to upgrade my game pc a little, need advice.

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2011 2:56:04 AM

I want to upgrade my gaming pc. This pc is strictly for gaming and nothing else, I have another pc I do everything else on.

I cant afford to upgrade the entire thing so I can do 1 or maybe 2 parts but Im not sure which upgrades would give me the biggest benefit. So Im going to list the parts I have and Id like to hear what you guys think would be the top 2 biggest things that would help me. I fired up pc wizard to make sure I tell you the exact parts I have in my pc.

Intel core i7 860 cpu at 2.8ghz.
Ati radeon 5850 video card.
Western digital velociraptor 300gb hard drive 16mb cache.
4gb of corsair dd3 1333 ram.

More about : upgrade game advice

August 12, 2011 3:06:48 AM

I don't see anything there that is truly worth upgrading. You might purchase some more RAM (8 GB is becoming the standard), but you have very solid parts. Your processor is one small step short of top of the line, your GPU is just a few steps below your highest end cards, and your hdd is actually pretty nice.
m
l
August 12, 2011 5:21:11 AM

Ah ok I wasnt sure.

Id like to have a sandy bridge in this pc but I know just for gaming my cpu was fine.

Only things I wasnt sure about was like my hard drive. I didnt know since raptor line is a little older tech if it really kept up anymore. I wasnt sure if something like this would give me faster load times and such with the extra cache on it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And the video card is older but I know its trash either. Was just wondering if there was anything that would give me a sizeable difference or anything. Only thing more graphic intensive than what I play now coming out I want is like battlefield 3 and possibly rage.

The memory I keep at 4 just because I am running 32bit windows still. I have quite a few older games I still play and I tend to have a lot of issues running them in a 64bit OS. Ill switch to 64bit if gog.com ever releases a sizeable amount of those games but even in dosbox I still have problems.
m
l
Related resources
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2011 6:21:37 AM

You certainly dont need an enterprise class hard drive .

You could upgrade to an SSD , but its probably not a good return on investment since you have a fast hard drive anyway
m
l
August 12, 2011 6:32:49 AM

The obvious upgrades, (Not that you really need to upgrade, but if you want to) would be to Crossfire the video card, and buy an aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock your CPU up to around 3.6. (You can go higher, but 3.6 is a good return that won't require a ton of extra voltage that would possibly reduce your CPU lifespan) A SSD would be the next step, depending on what you're looking to spend.

Just make sure your power supply can handle a second 5850 and you should be good to go. :) 
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2011 6:45:40 AM

Yargnit said:
The obvious upgrades, (Not that you really need to upgrade, but if you want to) would be to Crossfire the video card, and buy an aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock your CPU up to around 3.6. (You can go higher, but 3.6 is a good return that won't require a ton of extra voltage that would possibly reduce your CPU lifespan) A SSD would be the next step, depending on what you're looking to spend.

Just make sure your power supply can handle a second 5850 and you should be good to go. :) 

That was my first thought to , but with 32 bit windows it might not be that awesome an upgrade .

Throw in another 5850 and Win 7 64 bit , maybe
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:20:54 PM

From sounds of the responses Im pretty well off for gaming then right? If I really dont need anything then Ill just stick with what I have them.

Im happy with it, just wasnt sure if anything could be a big improvement. And like I said, BF3 is only major game coming out Im looking forward to and I wasnt sure if I could max out the graphics on it or not.
m
l
!