Closed

SLI One Card EXCESSIVLEY Hotter than the other.

Like i said, its extremely hotter than the other one, it 80-90 Degrees Celsius! on idle! and over 100 which shuts down my pc when i try to play a game. Ill Link a picture.

(I HAVE NOT OVERCLOCKED) im just using afterburner to monitor temp.

" class="img lazy">
21 answers Last reply
More about card excessivley hotter other
  1. Also, my specs are as follows:

I7 920 @ Stock Speed
    1000w PSU
    2 GTX 460's
    Windows 7 64-Bit
    6Gb DDR3 RAM
    NZXT Lexa-S Case

Ive dusted my case, re-installed the graphics cards, drivers are updated, dont know why its overheating
  2. Ok so it decided to shut down while i was watching a video because it was too hot. Whats going on, please help
  3. Try cleaning the HSF of the card out and if that doesn't work it may be time to RMA the card.
  4. I got them like 4 monts ago
  5. should i apply more epoxy? or whatever that cooling stuff is
  6. djsnipy said:
    should i apply more epoxy? or whatever that cooling stuff is

No, too much thermal paste will act like a blanket. A thin layer is all that is required.
  7. Ok, so just spray with compressed air and put the screws back? BTW, about a month ago one of the cases detached a bit from the hsf, so I had to super glue it back on, its back on but im not sure about taking the case back off again because its probably very fragile, but for the other card it should be ok. also, GPU1 is the one that's getting hot so is there a way to find GPU1 so i dont have to mess around with the other one?
  8. According to Afterburner it's the primary card (top slot) that's overheating. Tbh I would be more inclined to RMA the card if it's only four months old rather than messing about with stripping it down and cleaning it out.
  9. ive never RMA'ed a card so what happens? they send u a new one or what?
  10. Mousemonkey said:
    According to Afterburner it's the primary card (top slot) that's overheating. Tbh I would be more inclined to RMA the card if it's only four months old rather than messing about with stripping it down and cleaning it out.

Yup, totally agree. Best to take advantage of the card's youth and get a new one through RMA'ing it. If it were a year or two older, I'd say start the forensics, but in this case, RMA. I haven't had to do so myself, so hopefully somebody else can chime in with any advice you need on that front.
  11. djsnipy said:
    ive never RMA'ed a card so what happens? they send u a new one or what?

They should do, depending on where you live you might have to return it to the place you bought it from or direct to the manufacturer.
  12. I assume that the two cards are sitting right on top of each other, so the one over heating is the one that isn't getting clean air. If this is the case, is there any way that you could configure them into different PCIe slots which would allow for an extra slot between the cards? It's not always possible, but it certainly would help.

Edit: One other thing you might do if you can't reconfigure them. You may want to swap the cards location. Sometimes one card may be slightly warped while the other isn't, and this can sometimes cause the already very small gap between the cards to shrink to almost nil. If you swap their location, and be sure to screw them in to position with as much gap between them as possible, you can give more clean air to the top card.
  13. bystander said:
    I assume that the two cards are sitting right on top of each other, so the one over heating is the one that isn't getting clean air. If this is the case, is there any way that you could configure them into different PCIe slots which would allow for an extra slot between the cards? It's not always possible, but it certainly would help.

Even if the cards are right on top of each other there shouldn't be a 50 degree difference between them.
  14. Mousemonkey said:
    Even if the cards are right on top of each other there shouldn't be a 50 degree difference between them.

Maybe not, but if the gap between them closes off completely, I don't know for certain that would not be the case.
  15. bystander said:
    Maybe not, but if the gap between them closes off completely, I don't know for certain that would not be the case.

Even with setups like this:- there isn't a 50 degree difference between cards.
  16. I don't mean to argue here, but that picture doesn't show what I mean.

Even in that setup above, there is about a 3/16" of space between the cards. However, sometimes if one of the cards is slightly warped (due to weight and gravety, or not being screwed into place with a small gap), the space between the cards can disappear and they touch, not allowing any air at all to reach the fan.
  17. And just to clear something up. I do believe their is likely a problem with the heat sink on the card not being attached properly, but I just don't know for certain, and it's a good idea if he does get a new card replacement to make sure there is as much space as possible for future use.
  18. You might want to take a look and see if the fan on the GTX 460 card is turning. That high of a temperature at idle indicates either you fan is not turning or your heat sink is not in contact with the graphics chip.
    Also some of the GTX460 cards because of the cooling configuration do not do well when placed close together in a SLI configuration. I have the top card on my computer typically running significantly hotter than the lower one.
  19. I every system I've built with dual GPUs the top card has always been hotter, but, only by 10--15C.....

First, as previously suggested swap the GPUs between slots. Top card to bottom slot and bottom card to top slot. Fire up the system. If the Top card is again 80--100C, you have a problem with air circulation in your case. If the Bottom card is crazy hot, you have a problem with the card.

To RMA:
    - contact the manufacturer the general number may send you over to their tech guys to debug a bit
    - tell them the situation, age of card ...
    - they will make a ruling, tell you what you need to do, and provide the RMA number
    - you'll likely have to pay to ship the card to their repair depot
    - once they fix it they'll send it back to you, they pay postage
  20. Iv not read much of this topic, i just want to add somthing.

Iv had this problem of the top card being hot, i couldn't find an answer so I just left it alone. However, I may have stumbled across a fix I believe. I recently did a fresh install of windows, although i don't think that was the fix. I started to do i bit of overclocking, I installed EVGA precision X and began doing a bit of overclocking. I noticed my top card idle temp it 34c opposed to the old 50c. I not to sure, and im sorry if im wrong but i believe it might have been the adjustment of the voltage settings.
  21. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Celsius SLI Graphics