Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, a big fail!?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 10, 2012 3:49:30 AM

Hello, I'm planning to build a gaming rig based on this MB, but i'm pretty scared since all the reviews I've seen have at least 20 bad reviews or people saying it died too soon or that it was dead on arrival or stuff like that, sounds like this MB has a huge failure rate.
So, what do you guys think? It's true? Or should I just ignore those reviews and hope for some luck?
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 4:05:24 AM

What feature does it have that another board in the same category doesn't? Why is your heart set on that board when there's others that have the same features?
Score
August 10, 2012 4:15:23 AM

Will you be overclocking with liquid nitrogen? No? Then pick a mobo that you actually need not one that looks good.
Score
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 12:29:02 PM

The R4E (RIVE) is an excellent but complicated MOBO, my guess is Noob + Expert MOBO = No Joy. There are several dip switches that can be easily moved that can cause the MOBO to fail if moved. Also, if folks use older components that are bad or marginal the only thing they can imagine to blame is the MOBO.

In general 2%~3% of MOBO's are going to be DOA, and IMO more than half are from rough shipping or were damaged from a user or user's bad equipment. All MOBO's are tested @ the OEM so they all leave the factories in working order!

Unless you're experienced and complimenting the R4E with a SB-E 6-core and 3/4-WAY SLI/CF then it's probably not the ideal choice. However, the ASUS LGA 2011 are indeed the wisest choice.

Most all of my client builds since last year are off the R4E and do date I've only had one failure that my best guess was damaged in shipping.
Score
August 10, 2012 1:28:35 PM

I use an ASUS rampage iv extreme and have experienced none of the problems I've read in the reviews, actually, no problems at all! It's working perfectly for me :D 
Score
August 10, 2012 6:45:53 PM

Yeah I mean, I'm not a master of mobos and might not be a hardcore overclocker who wants to reach 5ghz+, but I think I know enough to know how to configure it.

I'll be using 16gb of ram gskills ripjaws x 1600 an i7 3820 and some gtx 680 not sure about which one, I think I'll pick the DCU II version and a cooler master silent pro gold 1000 watts modular, since I'll be updating later to an sli configuration.
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 7:17:33 PM

Then I'd consider a Z77, you can purchase a model with PLX if you need or want 3 or 4-WAY SLI. The i7-3820 is an okay CPU, the i7-3770K is better and is close to the same price.

Z77 with PLX; examples:
ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM
ASUS Maximus V EXTREME
ASRock Z77 Extreme9
ASUS P8Z77 WS
EVGA Z77 FTW
or
Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3

Personally, I have an LGA 2011 the only attractions are the 6-cores, 8xDIMM and 32 PCIe lanes. However, it's worth noting nVidia has deemed the SB-E PCIe 2.0 not PCIe 3.0. Further. AMD has not taken the stance to disable PCIe 3.0 support on their HD 7000 series GPU line.

nVidia (read the fine print) - http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...
nVidia PCIe 3.0 work around - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135...
Score

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 87 V Motherboard
August 10, 2012 8:03:48 PM

It's understandable that you would be confused. There are a few issues: 1) People make claims without backing it up with proof, 2) People make blanket statements, when the reality is Newegg reviews should not be taken as facts they are nothing more than hear say!

Your best bet it to always do your own research using the many reliable legit professional review websites and don't always believe everything reported by random anonymous posters on a public forum or anything you read you want to see proof and get to the facts of whatever otherwise don't take it as anything more than blanket statements anyway,good luck.

August 11, 2012 6:09:48 PM

Best answer selected by adchartuni.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 5:06:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!