Problems with PC Crashing

MrGTST

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hi All,

Don't know if this is the best spot to ask but at least its a starting point.... I built a new system recently and its been giving me a fair bit of grief, basically what happens is that you will be using the computer and then it just stops responding. The HDD light comes on solid but it doesn't matter if you are browsing the net or playing a game or anything else it will just sit there for what can be up to a few minutes...

Sometimes the computer recovers, sometimes it blue screens on me, the interesting thing I have just picked up on is that when I hit the reset button after the blue screen I get a message "Reboot and select proper boot device" and when I check in the BIOS my primary SSD drive is showing up as NOT PRESENT.

This will continue each time you reset until you hit the power button and shutdown the system completely... then things work as normal until the next time it happens.... I can go days without it happening then get it 4 times in 10 minutes...

Here is a small capture of the last blue screen with what I reckon are the import details

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800A861880, 0xFFFFFA800A861B60, 0xFFFFF800035CCF40)

Also get Physical memory dump failed status 0xC0000010

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated, its ruining what was meant to be a great new family treat :(

Cheers

MrGTST

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Okay, this is what I am running... this should be largely accurate but I am at work looking the stuff up so its a memory game. :)

Operation System:

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Hardware:

- INTEL CORE i7 2600K 3.4GHz 8MB
- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO B3 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD
- G.SKILL 8GB KIT DDR3 RIPJAWS X C7 1600MHZ
- OCZ AGILITY 3 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA3 525/500
- WD CAVIAR BLACK 3.5" 1TB 7200/64MB/SATA3
- EVGA GTX580 772M/4008M 1536MB/D-DVI/HDMI
- CORSAIR 850W HX-850W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
- ASUS 24x SATA DVD-R/RW/DL BLACK

Thats the important stuff I think... the Agility 3 SSD is setup as the primary drive with windows 7 install and program files, the WD drive just have general storage and game installations.

I have run the memtest to check the ram as I have read that it can cause problems with my setup but so far its passed those test's...

Cheers

MrGTST

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Anyone out there willing to share any ideas... short of me going out and buying a new regular hdd and reinstalling the whole lot to test without the SSD drive I am not sure what else to try...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Apologies for the delay in response...

The problem could be a low CMOS battery (even though it's new), requiring a simple replacement, or your HDD being corrupt. Open cmd (start > run > "cmd") and type "sfc /scannow", but without the " ". Hit Enter.

It might take some time for the scan to complete, but what this does is check the integrity of OS files, as well as repair any that may be corrupt.

Run the scan twice, since sometimes the first time through it won't repair all corrupted files, and then search for a file titled "cbs.log"; a log file of the scan. Post the contents of that log and tell me how the scan goes. Hopefully we'll see some errors and get this taken care of. Heh.

MrGTST

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I have run the scan twice (actually 3 times) and it runs through quickly (I would say takes about 1 minute) and it does not find any problems.

I have found the log file and managed to open it but man there is a massive amount of text in there, might be cause I have run the test a number of times. Checking the file size its 14MB and has hundreds if not thousands of lines of text!!! I don't know if that normal???

I went to host the file and then attach the link but windows is fighting me each time I try and interact with the file...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Well if you've ran the test a few times and nothing has come up, check to see if you have RAID enabled in your BIOS. Even though you aren't using a RAID configuration, there's a chance there's a conflict with it. To disable it, go into your BIOS. The menu navigation is different with each BIOS manufacturer, but usually it's under a submenu titled "Integrated Peripherals", or something of that nature.

If you find it enabled, go ahead and disable it. See if that takes care of the issue. If not, the problem really could just be a bad HDD. If you have an extra drive laying around, try installing the OS on it and see if any BSOD's still pop up. I know it's a pain, but that'll definitely separate the problem between your other components or the drive itself.

TRENDING THREADS