Help upgrading computer please

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxkremeur

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I got myself a nice asus cm6730 PC last year , and I kinda like it very mucha and I wouldn't want to change it , but the gt 530 inside doesn't help me very much with Battlefield 3 , it only gives me like 30 fps on low settings :(. These are my specs:

Intel core i5 2310 quad core 2.9 gh
Nvidia gt530
350 w psu
6gb ram ddr3 (2+ 4)

So my project is to buy a new graphics card( and a psu for it).These are my choices:

- Nvidia gtx 580
- Gtx 670
- Asus geforce directCU II top gtx 680( more like an dream )

Here we come to the problem. My mobo doesn't really have the pci-e slots required for the gtx670
or the asus gtx 680.
So the question is , What motherboard should I buy ? ( sorry if I got something wrong i'm kinda new in PC upgrading)

Solution

Hi,

You don't need a new motherboard because the cards are backwards compatible with PCIE 2 slots.
You're PSU, however, will need to be upgraded.

maxkremeur

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

The gtx 670 uses a pci-e 3.0 and two 6 pins
The asus gtx680 uses a pci-e 3.0 and a 6pin and 8pin

Hope I helped you in helping me
:)

Hi,

You don't need a new motherboard because the cards are backwards compatible with PCIE 2 slots.
You're PSU, however, will need to be upgraded.

Solution

maxkremeur

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

ok , big thanks , and how do i know if i have the right, 6pin/8pin connections ? i opened my pc case and i saw a bundle of cables,
and i didn't want to unbundle them , but now thaat i know that the cards are compatible with my pc i will look if i got the two 6pins and the 8pin one

Status
Not open for further replies.