Your question

Odd clicking noise coming from left laptop speaker

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Speakers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 10, 2011 7:53:41 AM

Hi there. Bit of an odd problem. I have a Samsung X460 - the fan started making a horrible noise so I took it apart and replaced it. Put it back together and all was fine, until I started watching a movie. A few minutes in a strange popping, clicking sound started. It's a bit like the sound you get when you plug a mic or something in, but a bit different, and is repeated several times a second. It comes on just after start up - starts off slower for a second and then speeds up.

I've taken a (not very good) video of it - perhaps that's the best way to explain it. It's at http://youtu.be/FkKoR8fwA-4

Funny thing is, it only seems to be coming out of the left speaker and not the right. It doesn't play through headphones at all. Lastly, I can get sound fine through the headphones but not the speakers - only that clicking sound.

It's almost like the speaker is amplifying some working of the computer. Do you think it could be a loose cable or something, considering I just took the laptop apart?

I'd be really grateful for some help, really not sure what to do apart from take it apart again and check all the connections - something I'd rather avoid unless I'm looking for something!

Thanks in advance...

More about : odd clicking noise coming left laptop speaker

November 10, 2011 9:27:54 AM

It's your speaker for sure.
Still on warranty? If yes then return it to get repaired...
November 10, 2011 9:37:34 AM

Nope, definitely out on warranty. Is it the speaker, or the soundcard?
Related resources
November 10, 2011 9:38:23 AM

And how can you be sure it's the speaker?
November 10, 2011 2:51:34 PM

You've said that:
"I can get sound fine through the headphones but not the speakers - only that clicking sound."
So the sound is fine when you are using headphones, right? So it's the speaker and not the soundcard...
November 10, 2011 2:57:58 PM

What do you think is causing it? It seems to spin up at the beginning before reaching its steady crescendo...speakers were working fine until I took the laptop apart, could it be a loose connection or some PC function being amplified somehow?
!