boot 2000 from dos prompt

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I need to find out how to boot into 2000 from a dos prompt due to the fact that when I loaded win 98 back on, I lost my boot loader. The problem is that I wasnt smart enough to make the emergency disk in order to repair 2000 and I nedd into 2000 to be able to do that. Unless of course you have a better or different way to do it. Thanks

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Sorry for my possible misleading and misunderstanding the problem…

> <b><font color=green> “boot 2000 from dos prompt ...I need to find out how to boot into 2000 from a dos prompt...“ </b></font color=green>

Win2000 doesn’t support that. Actually, there’s no need for that in order to fix Win2000 problems.

[QUOTE from sysinternals.com: <font color=blue><i>”NTFSDOS.EXE is a read-only ...system driver for DOS/Windows that is able to recognize ...NTFS drives for transparent access. It makes NTFS drives appear indistinguishable from standard FAT drives, providing the ability to navigate, view and execute programs on them from DOS or from Windows…”</i></font color=blue>
<A HREF="http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml" target="_new">http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml</A>

Do you really heed DOS for NTFS? I don’t think so.

> <font color=green><b> “…due to the fact that when I loaded win 98 back on, I lost my boot loader …” </b></font color=green>

<i>I believe that after you re-installed Win98, your WinNT boot loader, the NTLDR is still on your harddisk in system partition. It’s a hidden file and it is normally impossible to loose the 210 KB NTLDR file from system partition just after Win98 installation. If you said “I’ve deleted the NTLDR” it would be understandable, it’s gone. But you said “when I loaded win 98 back on, I lost my boot loader…”. So, if you enable in View Folder Options “Show all files” and uncheck “Hide file extensions…” you would probably see the NTLDR, probably it is still there. Don’t understand what actually happened to your NTLDR…Are you sure you need it? Sorry.</i>

What I am sure, that you definetly need to restore your Win2000 boot after Win98 re-installation.

.> <font color=green><b>”…The problem is … wasnt …. to make the emergency disk in order to repair 2000…”</b></font color=green>

I assume that your question is just simple as "got a Win2000 startup problem after Win98 reinstall" (just guessing).

In this case my suggestion would be also simple:

- Boot from the Win2000 CD. (Enable boot from CD in BIOS);
- After the Win2000 Setup program starts, you’ll be prompted to press <b>R</b> to repair the installation. Press R to start the emergency repair process;
- On the next screen you can choose to press <b>M</b> (manual) repair w/o ERD;
- Choose the option: Inspect Boot Sector and Inspect Startup Environment (<i>you can choose the first option only, and if no result, then use the second option also)</i>).

Tell how you are getting on with it, probably some more info and editing work on BOOT.INI file are needed there.