Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I want to lock my screen

Last response: in Windows 8
January 15, 2013 1:20:43 AM

I recently purchased my first device running Windows 8 here:
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Despite a few reviews that almost turned me away from this product, I can say I'm quite happy with it so far. One thing that troubles me, is my inability to lock the screen (like any smartphone, ipad, or android tablet). Typically there is a physical button on the tablet that allows the screen to be turned off to save power and prevents undesired touchscreen actions during transport.

My tablet doesn't have a specific button for this function (only the normal power button, rotation lock, and volume rocker). Currently I'm able to sleep the computer using the power button, but I'd gladly give this up to be able to just lock the screen like every other device out there. Does Windows 8 have a solution for this that I'm not aware of?

More about : lock screen

January 15, 2013 3:08:13 AM

Thanks, but neither of those get me what I'm looking for. I'm just looking for Ipad like functionality to turn the screen off. Often I'll be sitting on the couch "working" on the tablet, and I'll want to get up and take it with me into another room. This can be touchy with the screen on and touch screen still working. With every other tablet, I could push a button, turn the screen off, and be free to touch the screen while I move without worrying about pressing on-screen buttons, accidentally launching apps, or heaven forbid, deleting data.
Score
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 15, 2013 3:16:52 AM

common sense says press the power button. If that is to much effort then read the manual
Score
a b * Windows 8
January 15, 2013 3:32:13 AM

Not sure about the tablet's functios, but perhaps it is a switch somewhere on the body of the tablet to disable the touchscreen..or a slide-switch type of thing?
Score
January 15, 2013 11:47:50 AM

unksol said:
common sense says press the power button. If that is to much effort then read the manual

Common sense says to read my original post.

As I said, the power button functions just like it would on a laptop. In windows power management I can set it to Do Nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut Down.

There are no hidden buttons or slide-switches, and yes, I've read the manual.

Since Windows 8 is a tablet OS, I was hoping it would have an answer for this, but I haven't found it yet. Should be added to the list of options for the power button, instead of sleep/hibernate/shutdown, it should have an option for Lock Screen.
Score
a b * Windows 8
January 15, 2013 5:18:28 PM

well you can do what someone else stated too. CHange the power button to sleep.
Check the mark to "require password from sleep".

I know that you can press your picture on the Desktop screen and lock it without using the keyboard.
Score
January 16, 2013 10:09:00 PM

danny2000 said:
well you can do what someone else stated too. CHange the power button to sleep.
Check the mark to "require password from sleep".

I know that you can press your picture on the Desktop screen and lock it without using the keyboard.

I already changed the power button to sleep; that's what it's been all along as I explained. The problem with this is, imagine if you were downloading a large file, but you wanted to lock the screen to move the tablet to another room. If you sleep the computer the download will stop.

As I've said before, I'm looking for smartphone/ipad/android tablet functionality. Simply push a button to lock the screen without sleeping the computer.

Pressing my picture on the desktop screen is the best solution so far, but it still leaves the screen on and it is still possible to accidentally shut the computer down from this lock screen.
Score
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 10:27:20 PM

Well, since you don't like the solutions presented, is there an app for it? I'd imagine there would be.
Score
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 10:44:04 PM

Maybe try changing the power settings so the power button puts it to sleep?(not hibernate) that should turn the screen off and it should wake up very fast as well(with the same button again).

I do not have a Win8 tablet so can not test that on anything but a Desktop PC.
Score
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 11:32:54 PM

Change the power button to "do nothing" then lock the screen.
Change to "require password after waking from sleep"
As far as actually keeping the screen turned off.....well. you could do a few things, but then how would you wake the computer?
Score
January 21, 2013 10:02:47 AM

I'm sorry guys, but none of these solutions are really what I want. I'm convinced that there isn't a way to do what I want, at least for now. Hopefully someone develops an app that can make the lock screen act like a smartphone, ipad, or android tablet. Sleeping in windows 8 is not equivalent to what the ipad does when you push the button to lock it's screen.

Using the power button to simply turn off the LCD and touchscreen (but keep the computer running in the background) is what I would like. This is how the Ipad and every other tablet out there seem to function. You could then put the power button again to turn on the screen.

Additionally, I don't enjoy typing with the onscreen keyboard, so typing in my password on startup is a pain. Most other tablets offer some other type of protected lockscreen such as a pattern lock or a pin number. This would work great if it prompted me for my password when docked as a laptop, but used the pattern lock screen when un-docked at a tablet.
Score
a b * Windows 8
January 21, 2013 5:25:51 PM

Your only option is how I stated above. Set the power button to "Do Nothing" when pressed.
Lock the screen and downloads will continue even if you press the power button.
Windows 8 does offer the types of PIN unlock and even gesture unlock that you mentioned.
Score
June 2, 2013 6:16:08 AM

bmather9 said:
I'm sorry guys, but none of these solutions are really what I want. I'm convinced that there isn't a way to do what I want, at least for now. Hopefully someone develops an app that can make the lock screen act like a smartphone, ipad, or android tablet. Sleeping in windows 8 is not equivalent to what the ipad does when you push the button to lock it's screen.

Using the power button to simply turn off the LCD and touchscreen (but keep the computer running in the background) is what I would like. This is how the Ipad and every other tablet out there seem to function. You could then put the power button again to turn on the screen.

Additionally, I don't enjoy typing with the onscreen keyboard, so typing in my password on startup is a pain. Most other tablets offer some other type of protected lockscreen such as a pattern lock or a pin number. This would work great if it prompted me for my password when docked as a laptop, but used the pattern lock screen when un-docked at a tablet.

I have wrestled with the same issue. The only solution I have found so far is to install MonitorES which you can set to shut off the screen on lock. The only problem is that touching the screen anywhere will turn the screen back on again. I would love to find a program that will prevent it from turning the screen back on until a physical button is pushed, but I have yet to find a program like that.
Score
July 29, 2013 8:12:21 AM

Took me a few minutes, but I think I found what you are looking for. From the MetroUI start screen swipe from right to get the sidebar open. Click on Change PC Settings at the bottom. Go to users. Under your account you have the ability to change your password as well as create a PIN. Below the PIN, there is a question that says "Require a password after the display is off for" and in the drop down, select "Always require a password".
Score
August 4, 2013 8:52:56 AM

You can create a shortcut to this target:

rundll32.exe user32.exe,LockWorkStation

Just pin the shortcut to the 'Start Menu', and when you tap it, your tablet should lock. This has worked on one tablet, but has NOT worked on an identical tablet. I'm still working on why it's not working on the second tablet. Since it has worked on the first tablet I tried, I figured I'd add it to the thread for others to try.

Score
August 8, 2013 10:04:34 AM

Goto metro start screen, touch your login name in the top right corner. A lock option will appear.
Score
August 8, 2013 1:23:46 PM

On start screen, tap your name, then tap lock.
Score
a b * Windows 8
August 13, 2013 11:32:41 AM

The only way to do this is to lock the computer screen with your finger on the new Start Screen where your picture is shown on top left.. Downloads would continue. To make sure that you don't accidently put the computer to sleep in the few feet that you may walk, go into power settings and disable any button action. Set screen timeout as appropriate or to your liking.

Samsung may also have included some software to use to help configure their buttons, especially for when you have the keyboard detached. Either way locking the screen and disabling the buttons should suffice for traveling.

I would suggest that this case be closed as there has not been a response from the op since January.
Score
!