IPS for Gaming?

lro

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
My general question is: Is IPS okay for gaming?

More specifically, Newegg has the LG IPS226V-PN on sale for 149.99 right now, which seems like a great deal for an IPS monitor. As I understand it they are pretty superior to TN in terms of image quality but I'm concerned about ghosting. I play mostly FPS and RTS games (Call of Duty, Starcraft II, etc) and I was wondering if anybody with a lower end IPS panel (or this one in particular) can vouch for their response time.

One other note, I've seen all sorts of response times listed for this display. On Newegg it says 8ms GTG, on a review I read it quoted literature that came w/ the monitor as putting it at 6ms, and finally on the LG website it says 5ms... so I really have no clue.

I prefer IPS panel monitors to TN panel monitors.

I play games on my NEC LCD2690WUXi which is rated at 6ms and I have no real issues with ghosting. Have I seen ghosting on my NEC? Yes, but not very much. Certainly not 3 times more than compared to my 2ms Asus VK246H monitor.

8ms vs. 6ms is not that much of a difference. However, gamers typically prefer a 2ms TN panel monitor.

I never used or seen a cheap e-IPS monitor so I can't attest to their overall quality compared to expensive H-IPS monitors that I use. However, e-IPS panel monitors is like a compromise between TN panels and more expensive IPS panels.

Latest posts