Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade from 5850(Wait or Do it)???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2011 2:47:57 AM

Hey guys i have sapphire toxic 5850 1 gb(950/1230) clocks.

Right now i game at 1920x1080 and have no issues.

But i was thinking of crossfiring with another 5850 and i think they are still available in my country.

But i am not sure if its a good idea because i can still run many games maxed out smoothly.

Sometimes i think i need extra fps so i was thinking of getting more powerful single card or crossfire 5850 which do you think is better idea?.

My specs are

Phenom II x4 965(3.82 ghz)
4 gb gskill ram(2x2)
Cooler Master 750 gx psu
toxic 5850 1 gb
gigabyte 890fx-UD7(rev 2.0)

I wish i could try nvidia but my motherboard only supports crossfirex no sli that sucks.

Thanks in advance.

More about : upgrade 5850 wait

June 9, 2011 3:02:57 AM

Be wise and wait, the 5850 is a powerful card, I am pretty sure like you said it plays everything at playable framerates. Just skip a generation and wait for the new 28nm; 7000 series, that's what I am going to do. It not worth it now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 12:02:21 PM

I would definitly NEVER get a new gpu if everything is running well :D .
The 7000 generation, o nVidia 600 might be some super huge revolution.
besides, if it turns out its not, you will get the othet 5850 cheaper ;D.

Also i heard in about 30% of games crossfire has some problems, so id definitly wait.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2011 12:04:29 PM

I ran 2x 5850 in crossfire for a while on an i7 980x system with 12gb of ram. I was having heat and driver issues so I sold the two 5850's and am currently running a single GTX 570. I have better performance in every game I play (BFBC2, GA, Crysis 2, etc). I had numerous issues with games not cooperating with the ATI drivers and causing problems.

Also, as long as you are not using multiple cards there is no such thing as "not supporting" one brand or the other. I have always preferred ATI but the drivers were causing no end of frustration, sometimes having to keep multiple versions to install depending on which game I wanted to play. I'm glad I switched to Nvidia and don't think I will go back any time soon. I'm planning to add a second GTX 570 and try out surround gaming with 3 monitors.

Like the other guys said, waiting for the next generation might be a good idea as well if there is no immediate need to upgrade.
m
l
June 9, 2011 12:48:55 PM

Wow thanks for the great replies everyone i guess i will wait then.

But do you guys really think crossfire is necessary at 1980x1080.

I only think crossfire is necessary for games like crysis 1,metro 2033 which no one can max out with single gpu solutions.

I never actually owned a powerful nvidia card the only one i had was 7100 gs way old card but it sucked anyway.

After that i went with ati for 2 years well i didnt actually had any serious issues with driver i was able to play all my games well thanks to only single gpu.

I know crossfire and sli can be a pain sometimes but once they start kicking in games you will love to see the fps numbers go high.

Luckily my motherboard has wide space for crossfirex so both cards wont overheat but i need a long crossfirex bridge then.

I am happy with my 5850 for a year i guess i will keep it till 7xxx series.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 12:59:08 PM

Yeahm, if i were you i'd wait till HD7000/GTX600 series come out and maybe you will be able to ebay your 5850 for a good price then ;) 
m
l
June 9, 2011 1:01:19 PM

gamer1291 said:
Wow thanks for the great replies everyone i guess i will wait then.

But do you guys really think crossfire is necessary at 1980x1080.

I only think crossfire is necessary for games like crysis 1,metro 2033 which no one can max out with single gpu solutions.

I never actually owned a powerful nvidia card the only one i had was 7100 gs way old card but it sucked anyway.

After that i went with ati for 2 years well i didnt actually had any serious issues with driver i was able to play all my games well thanks to only single gpu.

I know crossfire and sli can be a pain sometimes but once they start kicking in games you will love to see the fps numbers go high.

Luckily my motherboard has wide space for crossfirex so both cards wont overheat but i need a long crossfirex bridge then.

I am happy with my 5850 for a year i guess i will keep it till 7xxx series.

I doubt crossfire is necessary for that resolution, unless like you said you're trying to max out crysis in enthusiast mode or something. I max everything on every game I play with my single card at 1920x1200 but I am going to add a second card for either a 30" lcd or a triple screen setup where I will definitely need the extra juice. I think you should be fine waiting until the new cards come out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
m
l
June 9, 2011 1:09:42 PM

Yea your right arc00ta i am able to max out all new games without any lag like witcher 2,dirt 3,dead space 2, starcraft 2 i have no issues at all so no need to waste money now on buying old cards even for crossfire.

And i dont plan to upgrade my monitor any time soon i really like this resolution 1080p it suits me and i think its really a good resolution for gaming.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 1:14:17 PM

I use 2 5850's in crossfire and am very happy with the performance (just want to provide another perspective in addition to the folks above). I've been using them for over 6 months and have not had a single driver related problem. As with any high end setup just make sure you have a case with enough airflow to keep things cooled. 5850 crossfire is not infamous for heat by any means and should be similar to what you see with other multi-card setups.

If I had 1 5850 today I would not purchase another unless it was a very good deal. The next gen of cards should come out later this year, at which time the 5850 will be 2 generations old (though Crossfire 5850's will still be a pretty serious GPU setup). I'd hold off if you can live with the performance you're at now.

arc00ta- I just got a 30" monitor for 2560x1600 (HP ZR30W) and so far I'm loving it. It definitely take a lot more power to push that many pixels, and the room my rig is in is much warmer from adding this new screen to my previous 1920x1200. I now use 2, the smaller one for productivity, running Afterburner and Coretemp etc.

Cheers!
m
l
June 9, 2011 1:30:14 PM

Beltzy thanks what you said is very correct i heard rumors about releasing of 7xxx series by end of this year so i will wait for next series.

If i buy another 5850 now then i wont be able to upgrade to 7xxx and i will end up regretting that i should have waited.

Thanks for clearing this up but i was kinda itchy to upgrade but i will save money for better cards.
m
l
June 9, 2011 1:34:05 PM

beltzy said:
I use 2 5850's in crossfire and am very happy with the performance (just want to provide another perspective in addition to the folks above). I've been using them for over 6 months and have not had a single driver related problem. As with any high end setup just make sure you have a case with enough airflow to keep things cooled. 5850 crossfire is not infamous for heat by any means and should be similar to what you see with other multi-card setups.

If I had 1 5850 today I would not purchase another unless it was a very good deal. The next gen of cards should come out later this year, at which time the 5850 will be 2 generations old (though Crossfire 5850's will still be a pretty serious GPU setup). I'd hold off if you can live with the performance you're at now.

arc00ta- I just got a 30" monitor for 2560x1600 (HP ZR30W) and so far I'm loving it. It definitely take a lot more power to push that many pixels, and the room my rig is in is much warmer from adding this new screen to my previous 1920x1200. I now use 2, the smaller one for productivity, running Afterburner and Coretemp etc.

Cheers!

Interesting. My 5850's ran very very hot, I must have had some bum cards. I ended up having to swap the stock coolers for z1000's, and this was on a gigabyte X58-UD5 where I had to use the long connector because I had 2 slots in between with a very good case airflow-wise.

I'm thinking the 30" is the way to go, I have an account with dell so I was looking at the 3007 model 30". It will be much easier to fit on a desk than several smaller displays, and I dislike the 16:9 1080p format that seems to be taking over.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 2:42:34 PM

arc00ta said:
Interesting. My 5850's ran very very hot, I must have had some bum cards. I ended up having to swap the stock coolers for z1000's, and this was on a gigabyte X58-UD5 where I had to use the long connector because I had 2 slots in between with a very good case airflow-wise.

I'm thinking the 30" is the way to go, I have an account with dell so I was looking at the 3007 model 30". It will be much easier to fit on a desk than several smaller displays, and I dislike the 16:9 1080p format that seems to be taking over.

HAS taken over. There's nothing really that wrong with it anyway.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 2:47:55 PM

Why need a CF when you are maxing out most games. A difference of 80FPS to 100FPS may sound funky... but when your eyes dont detect it, what's the use? Only when your card labors through games is the time you actually need a change! That for me, for a HD5850, would be 2 years or more at least to have a game that can tax that GPU!
June 10, 2011 2:00:00 AM

Best answer selected by gamer1291.
m
l
!