PSU For Outdated PC and New Build

cresco299

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I have an outdated Desktop where I believe the PSU is no longer "functional". I would like to build the Sept $500 gaming computer but I have to wait until Mid December to do so. Is there a PSU that would work with my old Desktop for the time being and be compatible with the Tom's Sept $500 build? This will be my first build and I am still trying to figure my around things.

The Dead PC is:
CPU: Pent 4
Board: D865PERL
PSU: IW-P300A2-0

Thanks for any help!

Solution
He is going to make a PC in December, he just wants to buy a PSU that will work his present setup since it's dead.
The PC he will be making in December is the Rig We Suggested here at Toms in Sept for 500$.

My suggestion is buy the same PSU that the Sept Build has and use it later in the new rig once you make it.
The PSU is compatible with your board, so don't worry about it.
The only thing you might be able to harvest from the "dead" computer might be your Optical drive, and HDD. I wouldn't even harvest that PSU - it looks like a no name brand junk, and I wouldn't let it touch any new computer equipment - it may just fry your new stuff.

All the other parts - well looks like they can be donated somewhere, a school perhaps?

When the time comes - you can probably just ask anyone here at Toms again - i'm sure by December there will be better and cheaper products out there than the "sept" build.

cresco299

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

I'm not really looking to Harvest anything from my New Paper weight, but I do need a PC (or I'm gunna freak out) prior to my being able to lay out the funds for a new computer. Rather than buy that exact PSU which I know is compatible with the PC and then buy ANOTHER PSU for the new build, I was hoping I could find a PSU that would work for them both.

He is going to make a PC in December, he just wants to buy a PSU that will work his present setup since it's dead.
The PC he will be making in December is the Rig We Suggested here at Toms in Sept for 500$.

My suggestion is buy the same PSU that the Sept Build has and use it later in the new rig once you make it.
The PSU is compatible with your board, so don't worry about it.

Solution

cresco299

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Thank you Alyoshka.