Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2011 6:51:28 AM

Hi,

I recently upgraded my computer by adding a second 5770 card, here is the spec:

Here is the spec:

CPU: INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz 6M @2.5Ghz stock
GPU1: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
GPU2: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 Single Slot 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
RAM: (6GB) CORSAIR 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 1333MHZ 9-9-9-24 + CORSAIR 2GB (2X1GB) DDR3 1333MHZ 9-9-9-24
MB: (P5E5) ASUS S775 Intel X38 DDR3 ATX
HDD: 300GB Velociraptor
PSU: 650W

Followinng the instalation and a driver + CCC update I didnt get any improvment in FPS in any games I tried (3DMark11 refused to work on my pc due to some settings bug)

GPUZ showed crossfire enabled on first GPU screen and disabled on the second, I gather thats normal, but the second GPU always has load of 0%. Tried it on several games (Portal2, Gragon Age2, Witcher 2). Drivers installed 11.5.

I Then uninstalled CCC as per instructions and manually uninstalled drivers for both graphics cards in device manager. This made Win7 install 11.2 drivers automatically. Curiosly Crossfire with Win7 drivers (no CCC installed) shows as enabled and the 2nd GPU does show load, but everything runs 33% slower.

Installed CCC 11.5b drivers. GPUZ now showing driver version 11.5, not 11.5b. Got the same issue, Crossfire is enabled, but 2nd GPU never comes under load. There is no difference in game FPS with crossfire enabled or disabled.

All tests were done fullscreen and both PCIE slots are running at x16.

Dont know what to do now... Maybe flash the BIOS?

June 9, 2011 1:44:01 PM

I'd check to make sure each card is working on its own. If so, swap the slots and see if it functions that way.
June 9, 2011 1:50:27 PM

beltzy said:
I'd check to make sure each card is working on its own. If so, swap the slots and see if it functions that way.

Thanks, will do when I get home. Although pretty sure that it works as it shows load with 10.2 drivers (win7 default w/o ccc).

I wonder if its my PSU not coping?
Related resources
June 9, 2011 4:33:28 PM

Perhaps you need to install/update your CrossfireX profiles, or "ATI Catalyst Application Profiles" as they're officially titled?
June 9, 2011 7:09:25 PM

^ the profiles were installed before, it just didnt work with anything i ran (including old stuff).

Swapped the cards, the other card works (running as I type this). What I found is the memory is displayed funny....

CCC reports
Memory Size 3839 MB
Memory Type HyperMemory

GPUZ reports 1GB as normal

On the other card CCC reports just 1 GB too... Probably nothing but found it odd.

In any case I decided to refund the card. It's too much hastle and if I sell my existing 5770 I'll have the upgrade cost to a single 6950 down to ~£150. Which should give me double the performance of a single 5770.

That and while pulling off the Crossfire bridge the damn thing broke off (strip tore off the black connector) and as the XFX didnt come with one I now have none...

Should get the 6950 tomorrow...

June 9, 2011 7:15:25 PM

As far as i know, you need same hd5770 graphic card brand. Only two XFX 5770 or two Sapphire 5770 gfx for crossfire enable with crossfire bridge connector. It is recommended. Not mixed xfx with sapphire.

You better contact with your card manufacturer for further information.
June 9, 2011 7:26:38 PM

mubin said:
As far as i know, you need same hd5770 graphic card brand. Only two XFX 5770 or two Sapphire 5770 gfx for crossfire enable with crossfire bridge connector. It is recommended. Not mixed xfx with sapphire.

Well this page does not mention brands...

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/technology/Pages/crossfire...

The compitability chart just lists the card model and shows that you could crossfire 5770 and 5750.

However XFX 5770 "Single Slot" is not listed in the compatible cards list, but that could just be an omission:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/certified/Pages/c...
June 9, 2011 7:33:29 PM

Looking up HyperMemory found something disturbing.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperMemory

Looks like the card is using regular system RAM. Now, the box says 1gb GDDR5, but ccc isnt picking it up. Could be the issue, cards use different types of memory. If so XFX is beeing very sneeky.

That or the RAM on the XFX card is dead or malfunctioning.
June 9, 2011 8:48:38 PM

First, mubin is completely mistaken. You don't need the same brand of card, only the same GPU. Or as is the case with CrossFire, two cards from the same GPU family - i.e. two cards from the same series. (4800-series, 5800-series, 6800-series, and so on.) You can pair a 5770 with a 5750, but the 5770 would run at the 5750's speed.

As for the "Hyper Memory" stuff, that's used by ATI/AMD integrated and low-end GPUs. However, Windows itself will allocate system RAM in support of the GPU's own memory, or framebuffer. That may be why CCC reported nearly 4GB of Hyper Memory. My own 4890 (which also has 1GB) will sometimes report as having nearly 3GB of VRAM (video RAM) in some programs and benchmark software.

And there's no concern over the XFX 5770 single-slot model supporting CrossFire. Quite simply, it does. After all, it does have a CrossFireX connection on it.

As for what caused the problem, I'm at a complete loss... Maybe it's a defective card, or maybe you were onto something by questioning the PSU. How old is it? What make & model is it? The PSU is a potential concern you may want to address prior to that new 6950's arrival.
June 9, 2011 9:03:44 PM

mubin said:

You better contact with your card manufacturer for further information.

I'm getting a bit fed up with you posting complete rubbish, this ranks up there with you telling someone that an 8800GT was incompatible with their motherboard whilst an 8800GTX or 9800GTX would be fine. Please desist from posting such crap or you'll find yourself banned for posting misleading information.
June 9, 2011 9:04:09 PM

RazberyBandit said:
PSU is a potential concern you may want to address prior to that new 6950's arrival.

Well, I would be more worried about it normally, but everything is powering up correctly. I had dodgy PSUs before, the first signs are usually the fans, HDDs and optical drives behaving irratically (stuff with moving parts), but everything is working like clockwork (except the crossfire). I even had the bridge and power cables swapped, powered off sound card and disconnected everything except for the 2 cards and the boot drive.

The 6950 requires the same sort of wattage as 2x 5770s. So it should run like a lame duck if the PSU is on the way out (or not at all) so I'll see where I stand tomorrow.

It says its SLI ready....
http://www.highpowersupply.com/HP650G14C.html

Is High Power a decent make?
June 9, 2011 9:29:03 PM

I had the same problem with my original sapphire 5770 x-firing with the xfx 5770....and what ever I tried never really fixed anything so I ended up returning the card and gettin another sapphire card never had an issue after....never figured ouut EXACTLY why(frustrating) but the only thing I was thinkin is the same brand name as well.....where as both manufactures have slightly different cards...just for the fact that maybe I just was runnin the sapphire in slot 2 and the xfx in the 2nd...have you tried makin the xfx card in the first slot and the sapphire in the second?....Thats one thing I did not try.\
And for your psu its a good quality one but if your thinkin about gettin a 6950 and the psu is gettin a bit old me personally would just pick up a good brand 750...then you wont need to ever worry about your psu. That being said the 650 should do ya just fine...if you have a voltage meter than you can check out what is gettin power where and if anything is fluxing up and down then one of your rails are starting to go....easy way to check (but not so accurate) is go into your bios and under system health there should show you your system temps and voltage...now if your voltage is fluxing up and down while in your bios then I would further test the psu...
June 9, 2011 10:25:12 PM

Checking a PSU's voltage with a multimeter is quite pointless. Modern PSU voltages are all chip-controlled with built-in auto-shutdown in the event any voltage level goes out of spec. And some variance (.2V or less) is actually within tolerance.

I've never heard of "High Power" brand. While your PSU looks a LOT like OCZ's ModXStream Pro models, looks can be deceiving. I dunno... I personally wouldn't use one if given the choice, opting instead for a well-known and reputable brand, including the likes of Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, PCP&C, XFX, CoolerMaster, Silverstone, and OCZ itself. Maybe High Power is more common in Europe, which is strange because their pricing on their site is all in USD, not GBP or Euros.
June 10, 2011 6:18:23 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I'm getting a bit fed up with you posting complete rubbish, this ranks up there with you telling someone that an 8800GT was incompatible with their motherboard whilst an 8800GTX or 9800GTX would be fine. Please desist from posting such crap or you'll find yourself banned for posting misleading information.

Actually the motherboard you are talking about, it got problem with 8800GT. So I checked manufacturer’s website and found 8800GT was not available in their GPU compatible list where better GPU was listed. I also add the link of that webpage in that post, as I remember, so anyone can check.

If I were wrong and posting rubbish then why didn’t you post in that original thread? So I could correct that. Instead you post in this thread by insulting me very much.

And about the hd5770 crossfire, I am going to buy an hd5770 sapphire and asked the local retailer for crossfire. They said it would be better if I use same brand. I started a thread of hd5770 brand in this forum. So I just share my knowledge what I know. I don’t say you must use same brand but I just recommend. May be the retailer and me, both are mistaken but you can’t talk like that. I got many help from this forum and always get better suggestion from everyone. So if I can help a person a very little, I would be glad. So I just tried.

And again, you are a moderator and can banned me anytime. Just don’t hesitate to banned a rubbish/crap posting person like me, do it simply. But show some respect as i see in 'Rules Of Condition'. I feel very insult for your talking.

June 10, 2011 11:13:59 PM

mubin said:
Actually the motherboard you are talking about, it got problem with 8800GT. So I checked manufacturer’s website and found 8800GT was not available in their GPU compatible list where better GPU was listed. I also add the link of that webpage in that post, as I remember, so anyone can check.

If I were wrong and posting rubbish then why didn’t you post in that original thread? So I could correct that. Instead you post in this thread by insulting me very much.

And about the hd5770 crossfire, I am going to buy an hd5770 sapphire and asked the local retailer for crossfire. They said it would be better if I use same brand. I started a thread of hd5770 brand in this forum. So I just share my knowledge what I know. I don’t say you must use same brand but I just recommend. May be the retailer and me, both are mistaken but you can’t talk like that. I got many help from this forum and always get better suggestion from everyone. So if I can help a person a very little, I would be glad. So I just tried.

And again, you are a moderator and can banned me anytime. Just don’t hesitate to banned a rubbish/crap posting person like me, do it simply. But show some respect as i see in 'Rules Of Condition'. I feel very insult for your talking.

An 8800GTX and 9800GTX are not even the same GPU so why would an 8800GT not work? And there are enough people out running two cards from different manufactures in crossfire to prove your other statement wrong as well.
June 11, 2011 2:53:28 AM

Mousemonkey said:
An 8800GTX and 9800GTX are not even the same GPU so why would an 8800GT not work? And there are enough people out running two cards from different manufactures in crossfire to prove your other statement wrong as well.

That's my question too. If a 8800GTX/9800GTX work, then a 8800GT must. But 8800GT was not listed in GPU support list(I also wonder). So i told him 8800GT may not work as he asked 8800GT was compatible or not with his motherboard. Because he said 8800GT was not working with his motherboard as far i remember. That's not my idea. You better check that motherboard manufacturer's website. I cant find that old thread in my thread list. If you can find that thread, then you better check the link i posted or pick the motherboard model and check yourself.

About the crossfire, that's not my word but my retailer's. And i didn't say my statement was correct. 'RazberyBandi' already prove that i am completely mistaken. Now i know more details about crossfire from RazberyBandi's post.

People come here to share knowledge & learn and other correct someone's knowledge if they are wrong. That's how a forum works.
June 11, 2011 3:29:35 PM

/popcorn :D 

Jokes aside, mubin's right about the knowledge sharing and learning - That is what this forum is all about. I think mubin's mistake was simply how he chose to word the information he was sharing. It's quite common around here considering English isn't the native language of the entire community. To avoid such situations in the future, I suggest posting information you've received from other sources in the following manner:

"According to the manufacturer website, an 8800GT isn't listed as supported, but 8800GTX and 9800GTX cards are. Since the 8800GT is older, if the GTX cards are supported, it would only make sense that an 8800GT is as well."
or
"My local retailer said to use two identical make/model cards for CrossFireX setups."

In the first one, I relayed information from the manufacturer and formed a suggestive theory based on it. What I didn't do was make a firm claim based on it.

In the second, I passed on a claim from another source. In your original post, you never cited an outside source of that information. That leaves only one person responsible for that information - you.

How you choose to word information you're sharing is important, and can completely change how it's read and understood by others. Hopefully this will help you relay information more precisely and clearly in the future, as well as get the monkey off your back. :) 
June 11, 2011 5:54:41 PM

RazberyBandit said:

Jokes aside, mubin's right about the knowledge sharing and learning - That is what this forum is all about. I think mubin's mistake was simply how he chose to word the information he was sharing. It's quite common around here considering English isn't the native language of the entire community. To avoid such situations in the future, I suggest posting information you've received from other sources in the following manner:

"According to the manufacturer website, an 8800GT isn't listed as supported, but 8800GTX and 9800GTX cards are. Since the 8800GT is older, if the GTX cards are supported, it would only make sense that an 8800GT is as well."
or
"My local retailer said to use two identical make/model cards for CrossFireX setups."

In the first one, I relayed information from the manufacturer and formed a suggestive theory based on it. What I didn't do was make a firm claim based on it.

In the second, I passed on a claim from another source. In your original post, you never cited an outside source of that information. That leaves only one person responsible for that information - you.

How you choose to word information you're sharing is important, and can completely change how it's read and understood by others. Hopefully this will help you relay information more precisely and clearly in the future, as well as get the monkey off your back. :) 

Well said sir. [:wolfen18:9]
June 11, 2011 8:57:59 PM

Thanks MM. Now put your banhammer away :p 
June 11, 2011 9:11:12 PM

RazberyBandit said:

or

I totally agree with you. :)  As i am south-asian, my english will not be like yours. :( 

But i still deserve good reply against my post under the Rules Of Conduct.Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep in mind in future. :) 
!