Beware Gigabyte Overclocking Voids Warranty

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hi

I'm having problems with my board X79-Ud5 (3 weeks old)

Basically I now have a board where:
1. A cannot utilise memory to full speed due to BCLK issue (as soon as I raise above auto it causes ethernet problems - I blamed my internet provider initially)
2. Main BIOS is Corrupted regulalry
3. BIOS regualarly forgets boot order
4. Ehternet controller randomly drops out and requires reboot to start up again.
5. Problems with Video cards in second 16x slot accoasionally not registering

This is my reposnse from Gigabyte:

"Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. Basically the overclock result will depend on your peripheral devices, and the hardware overall performance. It might be the system/hardwares cannot accept your overclock settings, and we will not guarantee any result caused by system overclocking. "

I then replied (After setting all to default in BIOS and still having same isssues)

What are you talking about - IT IS NO OVERCLOCKED. I am unable to set BCLK/Frequency to anything other than auto (e.g 100.01) or Ethernet does not work.
BTW - the ethernet is your hardware device not some cheap device I purchased elswhere.
I have reset BIOS, reloaded BIOS, used the beta bios you sent, and the rpocess you mention below

Gigabytes next resonse:

"Kindly note if you adjusted the settings which related to CPU/Memory frequency, then it is related to overclock the hardware. Sorry."

WHAT A JOKE!

I've actually now lodged a complaint with Fair Trading in Australia, especially given the comments below when they advertise the board:

Utilizing a brand new Digital PWM controller, GIGABYTE's 3D Power features precise Auto Voltage Compensation to deliver a steady flow of power to the CPU and memory no matter the loading. This all new, all digital power system provides enthusiast users with exceptional control over the overclocking potential of their GIGABYTE X79 motherboard

Digital memory control allows users to monitor and record DDR power and current in real-time while gaming, overclocking or at idle. Users can also set OVP (Over Voltage Protection) to safeguard your memory, adjust memory Load-line Calibration to fix memory vdrooping for a quicker response time and adjust memory PWM frequency on-the-fly.

Users can now enjoy a fully interactive 3D utility that facilitates adjustment of the 3 dimensions that control the power delivery to your CPU and Memory: Voltage, Phase and Frequency. These parameters are crucial to how the digital PWM supplies power to critical areas of the motherboard and can help users quickly obtain the highest, most stable overclock.

Advanced mode provides a more comprehensive UEFI BIOS environment that is designed specifically for overclockers and power users who want maximum control over their PC's hardware. GIGABTYE's signature M.I.T. tuning technology can be found alongside fully configurable parameters for GIGABTE's all new digital 3D Power engine. In short, advanced mode combines the signature GIGABYTE BIOS expertise you’ve come to expect, wrapped a slick, new and optimized graphical UEFI interface.

So they advertise this and deny my claim for the huge OC of setting Frequency to 100.01???

Cheers

Mick

could be a few issues. the first with the network card or chipset on the mb. make sure you have the newest driver for it and intel mb chipset driver. with the ethernet chipset in the device setting and bios make sure you turn off sleep mode. with it on some ethernet ports will power off and will not log back in till the mb is power cycles. for the boot and bios issue check your power supply make sure it a good brand and sized right for the system. unclean power or a bad power supply will cause crazy errors. for ram you dont change the pci bus speed or blk speed as you done. you want to turn on in the dram setting xmp profile. and then reboot and use cpu-z to make sure the mb set the ram speed and timing to the xmp ram profile of the rams spd info.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Genius, you don't tell customer support that you've OCed anything in the first place, they may embrace OCing indirectly by adding those "features" as means of publicity, but they and pretty much everyone in the industry explicitly state that they will not cover ANY damage or abnormal behaviour caused by ANY settings different from factory-defaults, that means over or underclocking.

AMD and Intel do that with all their unlocked-multiplier-targeted-at-overclockers CPU's. Hell even MSI with their Afterburner software which has NO OTHER PURPOSE but that of overclocking won't cover any damage done to your cards even if they're MSI brand. It's always pretty much like this: if they find out you've OCed by any amount, you're screwed.

That said raising BCLK by .1mhz shouldn't have such impact on your system unless something is wrong from the start, do try smorizio's suggestions.

don't you have 30 days to send it back to place of purchase for a replacement ? never call the manufacturer unless absolutely necessary.

some of those problems sound as if the battery is bad. can't keep set time, etc.

the board sounds shot though. perhaps a voltage shock of some kind. or a static discharge........... socks-rugs and electronic components don't mix.

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

Thanks for the 'genius' compliment, nice to be reconised for my overall abilities once in a while.

All I told them was raising the host clock frequency by .1 Mghz throttled the Ethernet. Told them everything else was at default. I explained I was playing around with settings that may explain why the Ethernet keeps disabling itself.

Cheers

Mick

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

Hi

Thanks for suggestions. I have brand new 1200w Corair Power supply. Have all latest drivers from intel and sleep mode is off in driver settings.

As for the RAM I'm using the profile and was trying to OC - successful/stable to 2200 @ 9-10-10-2t. Just experimenting. For normal use just leave with profile set at 2133 stock.

Thanks

Mick

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I have a Lynnfield Gigabyte board that does similar things. The BIOS seems to go into a state of corruption and it starts blue screening. The board has been sent away four times and it comes back doing the same thing. I assume they keep sending me the same board back.

I found a cure. Its called an Ivy Bridge ASUS board. Sad but true.

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hey all,
Well Gigabyte have finally admitted the frequency/ethernet throttling is real for the X79-UD5 and are working on a BIOS solution (if possible).

In all honesty, this isn't my main concern anyway - I planned on upgrading memory anyway & have new 2133 Corsair memory running solid as a rock, so no need for frequency as I can OC CPU as much as I want with the divider on the 3930K

Anyway, they have now agreed to rma the board site unseen given the list of problems (and a prod from Department Fair Trading NSW, Australia). They'll first give me a new X79-UD5 (so I can at least have a working computer) and if the ethernet problem can't be resolved they will give me a new MB they say is being released in 5-6 weeks in Australia - the 'Thunderbolt'.

I just wonder how many poor internet providers around the world are dealing with complaints from people with high speed access wondering why they are only getting 5Mb/s when they should be getting 100Mb/s. All because they have massively OC'd :lol: the frequency by 3-4 Mhz. Ended up finding a proportional relationship, roughly via my ISP speed testing site with frequency and throttling:

100 = stable 95-100Mb/s
101 = abt 18-20Mb/s
102 = abt 13-15Mb/s
103 = abt 10-12Mb/s
104 = abt 5-8Bb/s
105 = abt 3-4 Mb/s

Cheers

Mick