Did I Buy a Bad Card?

Zyke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I bought a brand new ASUS ENGTX 460 (pre-oc'ed). I installed it and moved my old 9800GT to the second PCIe slot as a dedicated PhysX card.

After installing the latest Nvidia drivers, the screen would artifact slightly and then Win7 would crash and restart quickly. It would notify me that the Nvidia drivers caused the crash. On the third time, it crashed the whole system completely and will not boot into Windows after boot (black screen after starting Windows 7). If I remove the drivers using safe mode I would be able to boot into Win7 but the screen would be heavily artifacted (multiple horizontal red lines).

Should I just RMA the card? Also, how does RMA work exactly as I've never had to do one.

Edit: Computer boots fine with 9800GT as primary card.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Uninstall all GFX drivers, then install the drivers for the new card (should be on the CD that came with it). Remove the 9800GT completely from the system, as nVidia does not allow SLI with 2 different series of cards (both must be identical).

Zyke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Seems I bought a bad card. Artifacts heavily and crashes with the drives in came with and without the drives.

I thought SLI and having a dedicated PhysX card were two different things?

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
The physx card is something completely different (PhysX card, they don't make these anymore). PhysX (Software, most in software bundle) should run on your current config (without the second card), just download and install the program from nVidia.

TRENDING THREADS