Short circuit??

Gurak

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
Hi, I bought a new case, cm storm scout, to replace my older, cm centurion 5, mostly because I thought I needed more air flow, so, after 2 days of using my new case, when I went to turn on the pc, everything inside was working, fans, hdd, except for the cpu fan, and the pc wasn't posting, power button didn't work so I had to turn off the psu, tried this about 3 times, then took out the motherboard installed just what I needed and everything was working fine, I did this cause the same thing happened with my centurion 5, and now I don't know what to do, what could be causing this problem?? motherboard is an asus m4a79xtd evo, psu corsair tx 650w, I installed all the other devices after trying the first time, still working ( 2 hd 6850 and another hdd)

Something is not installed properly. The first thing to check is that all of the standoffs match the motherboard holes.

If that is good, install just the motherboard, CPU & heatsink, memory, and the video card in the case. If that successfully POST's (single short beep), start connecting the rest of the components, one at a time, testing after each one. You should be able to find the problem.

Any chance you just have a failing CPU fan and everything else is a side effect ? taking everything out may have free up the fan.

The bios has protection that shuts down everything when the cpu fan is not reporting. This could be caused by bad wire, frayed connector, fan plugged into wrong fan header, for me - stray wire blocking fan from spinning. There is a bios override for this that allows system to post without the cpu fan reporting (e.g. if you had a passively cooled cpu). With modern temp protected CPUs its safe to disable the fan warning as a test and see if this is the problem.

Gurak

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
@jsc I think I tried that yesterday, but can't really remember so I'll do that again when I get home, @tsnor about the CPU fan, I bought a hyper212+ not so long ago, and I've been using it for about 3 weeks, and it does work outside the case, I wonder if the psu touching the case and the case touching the little towers and the towers touching the motherboard could be a problem?? just making a wild guess here.

pd: @jsc still not working