Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2011 8:14:12 PM

I recently built a new rig to replace the old one. Specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t
Asus M5A97 EVO
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB
Corsair TX650 PSU
XFX Radeon HD 4650

Now after the enormous stress of having all my *** utterly destroyed, trying to replace, parts getting lost in the shipping process, and now I am having trouble with this newly built computer

The problem: It freezes periodically. About every minute it will freeze for about 20 to 30 seconds and then go back to normal. This is intolerable. The 2007 intel centrino laptop i borrowed from a friend just to post this preforms better than this.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. This is the second computer I have built plus a lot of tinkering with others so I half way no what I'm doing. All the components inside the computer are new except the 4650 which was bought last year and salvaged from my last computer, and a harddrive from 2007 when I built my first computer, which I currently have the OS installed on. I'm not sure if either of these could be the culprit. As for the freezing it seems to only freeze up when I'm doing something slightly intensive. And I do mean slightly. Like if I open up two tabs in my browser while looking at files in explorer. A 1100t should be able to do that no problem, which leads me to think it's a CPU problem. I hope it's not the CPU, RAM, or mobo, or any new parts. A hard drive or graphics cards I can easily replace but not the others.

More about : build

August 12, 2011 8:25:43 PM

A 5+ year old hard drive is definitely capable of causing problems

but you might just be experiencing windows indexing the hard drive . Especially with such an old drive that might just cause your problem

Try turning it off
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-searc...
and see it it makes a difference .

Then turn it back on and ride out the frustration
And buy a new hard drive
m
l
!