A beginner's question

bloodymeli

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I have a NAXN 450W power supply and my case is Antec one hundered. The case fans have a standard molex connection and I can connect them directly to the power supply. However, further along the power supply cord there is a 4-pin connector (it says FDD in the Enermax Website). Should I connect the FDD to the motherboard Fan Processor (it fits)? What is the FDD function?
Can the motherboard control the fan speed without this connection? There is only one outgoing cable from the case fan and it is the molex cable.

Thanks!

Solution
Do NOT connect the FDD connector to your motherboard. FDD stands for "Floppy Disk Drive", it is a power connector designed to feed 12 V and 5 V to a floppy drive which i doubt you have, it is not meant to connect to the motherboard. If you connect it to the fan header on your motherboard it will push power in the wrong direction and blow the fan header damaging the motherboard.
Do NOT connect the FDD connector to your motherboard. FDD stands for "Floppy Disk Drive", it is a power connector designed to feed 12 V and 5 V to a floppy drive which i doubt you have, it is not meant to connect to the motherboard. If you connect it to the fan header on your motherboard it will push power in the wrong direction and blow the fan header damaging the motherboard.

Solution