Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Hello All,

My system specs are follows :

4 gb ddr2 667Mhz
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz
MSI 6870 1 GB
Corsair VX450

Can this ram bottleneck gpu or cpu cuz iam getting low fps in most of the games than what this card is capable of like iam getting only 30-35 fps on bulletstorm with all high settings , AA = 2X , resolution = !440 * 900 .

Thanks.

arc00ta

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
What motherboard are you using? Its possible that your ram is the culprit but I'm wondering why you're using DDR2 with the processor to begin with. Are you using it in an AM2+ board?

RuLeBre@KeR

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
17" LCD monitor,seagate barracuda 500 gb internal HDD, one optical drive.

Yes , i connected both power plugs . I connected one with PCI-E connector from PSU and for other i used 6-pin to 4-pin molex connector and i used it to connect to 4pin connectors from PSU.

I was a little concerned that it might be your PSU as the limiting factor since you are somewhat close to the yield(396 watts on 12/v) but since you don't have many other componets using power it's not the issue.

I actually believe it's the RAM and mobo.As gamerk316 said the RAM is most likely bottlenecking the CPU which in turn is then bottlenecking the GPU.All of that paired with a lower end mobo is probably the reason for your low frame rates.

I suggest you buy a new mobo and RAM.

Do you have a budget for those upgrades?

You could buy a extreme budget mobo and ram for about $100 but that would be selecting already aging 7xx series mobo's.I would suggest spending the extra $30 for an 8xx series board,that way you have some sort of AM3+ support for future upgrades and crossfire ability.Would be a shame to buy a new mobo and not have it be able to do crossfire if you already own a 6870.

RuLeBre@KeR

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
How you calculated the power as 396 watts? I just wanna know about it cuz if i have added any parts in the future i have to make sure that my PSU is supplying adequate power for all the parts .

Actualyl iam from India , and my budget for mobo and ram is 8k-9k( in rupees). Can you guys suggest me a good mobo and RAM , ofcourse it has to be future proof for 2-3 years. And also iam thinking to buy a new monitor , BenQ G2222 LED . Is this monitor enough for HD gaming?

RuLeBre@KeR

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
That mobo seems to have only one PCI-E x16 slot . Can you suggest me a mobo with two slots cuz i have a 9600 gt card and i wanna connect it for physx.
Can i do crossfire with one PCI-E x16 slot?
Is it possible to do hybrid crossfirex with my present mobo? What are the requirements to do a hydrid crossfirex?
Do i need to enter RAM timings when i bought this 2000mhz RAM?
Once i checked these RAM timings with AMD overdrive but i haven't tried changing them.

You can't use Physx with a ATI card.Physx is a Nvidia ability for their cards and that doesn't work the same for ATI cards.You cannot combine the 6870 and the 9600GT,just won't work.

No you cannot use a crossfire/sli with only 1 PCI-express x16 slot.Crossfire or SLI refers to multiple cards being used at the same time.Except for the dual GPU cards like the 5970,6990 and the GTX590 you will need more than 1 PCI-express x16 slot to use Crossfire/SLI.

No you cannot use Hybrid Crossfirex with your current mobo.To be honest Crossfirex is a big hastle and not worth it for the performance it gives.It's only like a 2% increase in performance,not really worth the trouble it takes to set it up.

Yes,if you buy the 2000mhz RAM you will need to enter the timings manually but it's really really simple.

Don't use AMD Overdrive to do anything.AMD Overdrive has a lot of software issues and bugs.Sometimes it will force your CPU into a powerstate which will cause it to overheat.I wouldn't reccomend using AMD Overdrive at all.Use the BIOS,it's much more simple and it's always good to learn to use the BIOS because their are many more options and things you should fimliarize yourself with in there.

Here is a Crossfire/SLI capable motherboard but it will cost you about $20 more and it's micro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269

This board use's 2133mhz RAM instead of the 2000mhz RAM so you will need different RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231449

RuLeBre@KeR

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
The price of that mobo at my place is Rs.7790. Maybe you can suggest me somewhat cheap mobo compared to the previous one with AM3+ support and some new features.
Iam not that much familiar with BIOS , so i think i dont know where to enter the timings.