Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core i5-2500K $133.99USD Free Shipping!!

Last response: in CPUs
November 10, 2011 11:38:10 PM

Okay so I just ordered this CPU for only $133.99USD Shipped found here:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155

However it is known as open-box condition... should I have any worries that a customer overclocked the heck out of the CPU and it will die within a year?

Edit: Also is there anyway to test if it has ever been overclocked? Like for example run the CPU @ stock settings and run benchmarks with same-hardware and compare numbers? Would that be an accurate test? Lastly anyone know how late a CPU can be used for to still be suitable for an open-box? I just don't want "Johnny" to buy the CPU @ retail, overclock it to 5GHz with a super-high vcore, run it for a month at these settings, and RMA it to Newegg. Newegg than tests it and goes "Yup system turns on", packs it up, and sells me it.
November 10, 2011 11:58:00 PM

Wow NewEgg seriously posted them @ 8:35 and just sold out @ 8:55... 20 minute sell-out! Talk about crazy. Anyways anyone have any experience/advice on open-box 2500k's?
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 12:02:00 AM

Did you get one?
Related resources
November 11, 2011 12:05:40 AM

gnomio said:
Did you get one?

Sure did! I set a price alert 3 days ago to anything below $200. Newegg sent me an email the second they came avalible. And since I have a smartphone I got the email up and up. Was 3 minutes away from the house so rushed home and bought one.

To setup an alert for the open-box i5-2500k, login to Newegg, and than goto this website:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewMyAccount/PriceAlert.aspx?...

You'll get an email as soon as they list it.
a c 141 à CPUs
November 11, 2011 12:21:24 AM

I never bought an open box CPU but usually they come with just the cpu and no fan/heat sink so I hope you have one that you can attach or you won't be running that I5.
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 12:23:20 AM

Centora said:
Sure did! I set a price alert 3 days ago to anything below $200. Newegg sent me an email the second they came avalible. And since I have a smartphone I got the email up and up. Was 3 minutes away from the house so rushed home and bought one.

To setup an alert for the open-box i5-2500k, login to Newegg, and than goto this website:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewMyAccount/PriceAlert.aspx?...

You'll get an email as soon as they list it.

Then why ask. You already bought it. Now enjoy it and give us some feedback
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 12:24:30 AM

rds1220 said:
I never bought an open box CPU but usually they come with just the cpu and no fan/heat sink so I hope you have one that you can attach or you won't be running that I5.

Look at the details. HS and Fan included
a c 141 à CPUs
November 11, 2011 12:29:13 AM

Thats pretty good then. When I was looking at AMD open box cpu's awhile ago they all came with only the cpu, you had to get a fan/heatsink yourself.
November 11, 2011 12:31:30 AM

rds1220 said:

Actually website states it comes with the stock HSF but going to just toss that in the trash. Got myself a Dark Night HSF for $8.95 on none other but Newegg.

@gnomio

Just asking the community so I know what I'm up against when I get it.\

@rds1220

How is the "Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3" mobo with the i5-2500k? I'm looking on all websites and all reviews for 1155 boards and can't find a single stable board where someone hasn't RMA'ed their first board, it dies within months of use, or has other problems. A reputable guy on these forums said the Asus p67 Pro... but just looking at the reviews scares the fk out of me. Just want a stable single 16x pcie board to get the 2500k to 4Ghz and don't need a zillon features.
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 12:34:00 AM

Centora said:
Actually website states it comes with the stock HSF but going to just toss that in the trash. Got myself a Dark Night HSF for $8.95 on none other but Newegg.

@gnomio

Just asking the community so I know what I'm up against when I get it.\

@rds1220

How is the "Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3" mobo with the i5-2500k? I'm looking on all websites and all reviews for 1155 boards and can't find a single stable board where someone hasn't RMA'ed their first board, it dies within months of use, or has other problems. A reputable guy on these forums said the Asus p67 Pro... but just looking at the reviews scares the fk out of me. Just want a stable single 16x pcie board to get the 2500k to 4Ghz and don't need a zillon features.

Dunno if many had a open box experience. Doesnt look like it but it looks like your going to become the expert on that here.
November 11, 2011 12:44:58 AM

gnomio said:
Dunno if many had a open box experience. Doesnt look like it but it looks like your going to become the expert on that here.

I only knew to setup the alert on the open-box version from this guy:

o1die said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... board is just one example for bulldozer. Choose a newer chipset such as the one on this asrock board. It doesn't have onboard video, but you may not need it. If you don't like asrock, use newegg's advance search option for other am3+ boards. I use amd, but recommend for you an Intel combo with 2500K cpu and z68 board. Bulldozer isn't that much better than the old phenom II's. Newegg has had the 2500k twice as open box for only $133 shipped. If you see this, pounce on it immediately and get the board later. I've never had any problems with newegg open box cpus. They sell out in about one or two minutes.

Claims no issues with them. Was hoping more than just one user of Toms had enlighten for me on open-boxes.
a c 141 à CPUs
November 11, 2011 12:58:19 AM

Mobo's can be very finiky. I have seen problems like bad PCI-e slots that don't work, flaky Bios and boot loops to Mobo's that come DOA right from the start. It seems there are alot more problems with the older P67 mobo's compared to the newer Z68's. Like most things you get what you pay for. If you get some cheap 40 dollar board don't expect it be as good as those 300+ dollar high end motherboards. Gigabyte seems to make very good quality boards and the Z68's seem to have very few problems. From what I've read online it seems most people just stick them in thier computer and it works fine right out of the box. On Newegg someone said in a review "beware of misleading reviews" and I agree. I have had no problems at all so far.
November 11, 2011 1:09:31 AM

rds1220 said:
Mobo's can be very finiky. I have seen problems like bad PCI-e slots that don't work, flaky Bios and boot loops to Mobo's that come DOA right from the start. It seems there are alot more problems with the older P67 mobo's compared to the newer Z68's. Like most things you get what you pay for. If you get some cheap 40 dollar board don't expect it be as good as those 300+ dollar high end motherboards. Gigabyte seems to make very good quality boards and the Z68's seem to have very few problems. From what I've read online it seems most people just stick them in thier computer and it works fine right out of the box. On Newegg someone said in a review "beware of misleading reviews" and I agree. I have had no problems at all so far.

Shame Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 is out of stock on Newegg right now. Sigh time to hunt high and low for a mobo. Since I got the CPU so cheap my price range for the mobo increased to $200. However keep in mind I made it 3 years on my X2 AMD value mobo by Asrock with an almost 1Ghz overclock. Chipset is overheating rapidly. If I can get 3 years out of a $50 Asrock I expect at least 5+ on a $200 board.
!