Sign in with
Your question

Hooking Linksys Router with AT&T 2Wire Gateway

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 16, 2011 4:51:22 AM

Hello, I have a problem with my AT&T 2Wire DSL router shutting down several times an hour. I was told it's because my Apple MacBook (2 years old) is 128 bit encryption, and it's trying to pass through the router, which is 64 bit encryption. I was told a fix to that was hooking up a 128 bit encrypted router to the 2Wire router via ethernet, and using that router would solve the problem. Only problem is, my computer recognizes the Linksys WRT54GX2 router, but I just can't seem to pull up anything on the internet when I wirelessly connect to the Linksys. Any help?
January 16, 2011 6:17:11 PM

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1. Type exit to close the black form.

Disconnect the Linksys from the 2Wire and connect a computer via network cable to the Linksys.
log into your Linksys setup your wireless security using a different SSID, I recommend also to use WPA2 mode instate WEP.
Then disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to Gateway IP but ending in 253. If gateway is 192.168.1.1, set Linksys to 192.18.1.253
then connect the Linksys using one of the four LAN port to the 2Wire.

try to connect your Mac to the new SSID
m
l
January 16, 2011 10:48:57 PM

How can I run in XP if I'm running a Mac? Not gonna work.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2011 12:01:32 AM

Open a Terminal window on your Mac and type:

ifconfig /a

if that do not help you can log into the 2Wire and look up the LAN IP of the 2Wire which is also the Gateway IP for the network.

m
l
January 17, 2011 3:25:19 AM

I will try. You're going way above my head , computer wise, but I'll try. Thanks for the input and advice. We'll see what happens. I will most definitely let you know if it works, or doesn't work.
m
l
!