Stripped a screw.... HELP!!!!!

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
While I was unscrewing screws when changing a DVD drive for my macbook, a screw stripped. D: PLEASE HELP ME ON HOW TO FIX THIS!!!! SERIOUSLY!!! HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

I gently lift a stripped screw with a small pocket knife or dull kitchen knife while turning the screwdriver at the same time until it's high enough to remove slowly with a needlenose plier. Don't panic, be patient so you don't slip and damage the motherboard. If you get the bad screw out, replace both the screw and case standoff it goes in or simply leave the hole empty. You only need four screws to hold a board in place.

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

:/ It's one of those screws in the battery compartment on the side (not the little cover that covers the HDD & RAM)... Have any ideas?

4745454b

Titan
? It will work. Grab a drill bit slightly smaller then the screw. (not the head, the long part.) CAREFULLY drill down the length of the screw. Reverse the drill and pull it out. Screw will be gone. You need to make sure you don't go down that far. Laptop screws are usually similar in size so measure the drill bit you need from one of them, and put some masking tape on the drill bit to measure the distance you need.

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

:/ The drill's philips screw head is too big for removing the screw, there must be some other way other than taking it to a skilled person or drilling it...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Before going to a last resort of drilling it, you should try a rubber band in between the screw and manual screwdriver. The screwdriver should be a little bit bigger than the one that stripped the screw, and you will need to apply quite a bit of force for this to work. Just be careful so you don't break anything while trying this.

If you get it out far enough, pliers will be able to get it out the rest of the way.

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't work. D: Any other methods I should try before I try to to the drill method?

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, look at this:
vf9yfp.jpg

Won't I be able to cut the part the arrow is pointing to? (FYI, the warranty is already void so don't worry about sorta "modding" the macbook") Just tell me a tool I could use to cut that little part that's holding the keyboard and the screw.