Weird speakers/monitor interference!

sibela

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hi there,

I hope this is the right forum, as my problem is sound related and is not a new build or anything like that.

I have a pretty basic PC paired with a RCA stereo speakers set. Setup's like this: I have one speaker on each side of my LCD monitor. White/red cables are on the RCA system, turned on AUX mode, and the other end, the green one, connected to mobo audio jack on the back of my case.

I've used this setup for years, with the same monitor and the same speakers without any trouble at all. However, some days ago, my monitor died, it would constantly turn on and off and release this weird burnt smell. My speakers started some weird interference noise as well.

Yesterday, I took my monitor to a technician, and got it back today, working flawlessly. The technician had to replace some dead capacitors and another piece, can't remember exactly what, but it had to do with power.

So, after I put the monitor back in place, the interference goes on again! If I turn the monitor off, the speakers will stop it. If I turn off the stereo system and plug my headphones directly to the PC, no interference will sound, so definitely it must be something between the monitor and the speakers. They aren't even touching the monitor, I made sure there's enough distance between everything.

What could be going on? Any ideas much appreciated :)

EDIT:
It seems more and more like a monitor problem. My brother just found out that whenever my monitor is on, his speakers in HIS ROOM will buzz as well, which are of course plugged to a different wall outlet. If I turn my monitor off, his speakers will work just fine. In case it's worth knowing, both our rooms are upstairs. Wonder if electrical wiring/grounding could have something to do with this as well. I don't get it, we've been like this for a long time and nothing like this had happened before! This is getting scary, lol. I must ask the technician, but I can't do it right now as final projects are consuming all my time.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
If the monitor was a CRT I could see that there might be interference from the magnets on the speakers, but it sounds like they are fairly small. If they are bookshelf speakers I'd expect them not to be shielded, and in the case of your monitor it might be something as simple as a ground wire. I'm not 100% certain because I'm not entirely clear how to troubleshoot actual electronics issues, but I'd take the monitor back to the place it was fixed at and see if you can duplicate the problem there for the technician. If you can bring your speakers (assuming they aren't hooked up to a big receiver or something) then you should be able to replicate the problem at the service center.

sibela

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Well, they're medium sized speakers (23 cm tall, 15 wide). I too thought about taking the monitor back to the technician and showing him the speakers, but I'd like to save all the hassle, specially because I'm working on final projects for university so I don't have much time to spare, but still I could use some music while I work at them :)